Thread: Narborough

An art studio near Newton & Syerston, Notts

Default Narborough

Haven’t found any reference to Narborough yet on the AiX site, so thought I would start off a thread as it is often overlooked by its neighbour: Marham.

Info from the Narborough Airfield Research Group (NARG) states:

"Apart from four airship stations, Narborough was in area (908 acres) the largest World War One (WW1) aerodrome in Britain, taking up a large part of what had for centuries been known as ‘Narborough Field’. As West Norfolk’s first aerodrome, it opened a year before the much smaller Royal Flying Corps (RFC) airfield at Marham, no more than 1½ miles to the south-west. The two aerodromes existed side by side until the end of the Great War and while the Narborough site was ignored for future military expansions, Marham reopened in 1937 and remains to this day one of Britain’s premier Royal Air Force (RAF) stations. As a tribute to the men and women who served at Narborough in WW1, the Narborough Local History Society has erected a memorial plaque and information board in the churchyard, close to the graves of the young men who died when their fragile machines fell to earth on or near the aerodrome."

More displays can also be found in the village heritage centre sited in the old Methodist chapel.

I have posted some images of artwork that the Narborough Airfield Research Group (NARG) has commissioned me to do over the last few years:

The painting of the aerodrome was produced from various archive plans, photographs and site visits and was completed in Gouache on watercolour paper.

The pen and ink drawing is of a Canberra from Marham over the last remaining building “the Racket House” that lasted until September 1998, when it was mysteriously destroyed.

59 squadron and Narborough aerodrome feature in an article titled “59 Squadron’s Learning Curve” that I wrote and illustrated a few years ago for Aeroplane Monthly.

About three years ago I worked my latest project for the group: some display panels featuring different aspects of Narborough life; including the wartime years, the airfield and the strong connection Narborough Aerodrome has with 59 Squadron. These are on display in the Heritage Centre.

If anyone has any Narborough or 59 Sqn information, I'm sure the Narborough Airfield Research Group would be pleased to hear from you.

Read more about them at www.59squadronraf.org.uk
    Last edited by TOB; 08-11-2009 at 23:47.

Default Re: Narborough Aerodrome

Lovely stuff Tim, thanks for posting it up. I have heard about a rumours memorial at Narborough, do you know if there is one?? I couldn't find anything definate to say if there was one or not.

Thats odd because we have (somehere) a photograph of the last remaining aeroplane shed (which may have been the ARS) at Narborough taken in the early 1970s a few weeks before it was demolished and from memory it was brick not wood but I may be wrong - shall have to find it now.

An art studio near Newton & Syerston, Notts

Hi REF

The only memorial I am aware of is the one that the Narborough Airfield Research Group (NARG) unveiled, which is a memorial plaque on the churchyard wall of All Saints Church, Narborough on 19th July 1998.

I have attached a photograph of it that appears on the rear cover of the book 'The Great Government Aerodrome' published in 2000 by the NARG. ISBN 0 9538695 9 8.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for that Tim, I couldn't find any firm record of it but will make sure I drop in next time I am passing.

A nice little write up here about the airfield.
    I was based at Marham '76-77 and the Hangar was still standing at that time,in the above article they say it succumbed in 77.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...hXgbj7L0Xai-5A

edit ...just noticed the link has already been posted in post 1...Doh LOL

New Memorial going up to the pilots on Fri the 9th.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/memorial...fham_1_1015213

I never knew that Marham existed in wwi alwys thought it opened in 37 and absorbed what had been Narborough. And if Narborough had stayed open it might have menat that I wouldnt have had to walk uphill from the pub!

Thread Information