Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stapleford Tawney

Hybrid View

Senior Member Southend Spitfire's Avatar

Default Stapleford Tawney

Has anybody any photos or any info on any old wartime buildings in existance? dedicated memorial? please let me know.

Default Re: Stapleford Tawney

Hi Martin

I've not been there myself but I understand there is a memorial on the airfield at the flying club. The old watch office was standing until a few years ago, I'm not sure if it is still there.

These photos were sent to me and taken by Fred Pearce

Just found this on Wiki..........

`Stapleford opened as Essex Aerodrome in 1933 as a base for Hillman's Airways who provided a service to Paris and other European cities using De Havilland DH.84 Dragon and DH.89 Dragon Rapide biplanes. Amy Johnson was one of the Hillman Airways pilots. After running into financial difficulties, Hillman was bought up by Whitehall Security Corporation Ltd and merged with three other airlines that they already owned to form British Airways Ltd. Operations began in 1936, but after 4 months all flights were moved to Heston Aerodrome, leaving just a small number of private aircraft.

The RAF took an interest in the airfield in 1937 and in 1938 No 21 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training school was established at Stapleford. Flying training was provided by Reid and Signist Ltd, under contract to the Air Ministry. One of the most famous students was J.E. "Johnnie" Johnson who became the RAF's top scoring pilot and reached the rank of Air Vice Marshal.`

................. It might explain the hangar looking more like a factory type rather than maintanance type..??? (If that makes sense...??)

If anyone has a plan of Stapleford showing buildings that might be extant, other than the hangars (eg Battle HQ) post it here and I will try to find and photo them. Its not far from me.
    Its still quite a lively airfield with a flying school and a couple of light aircraft flight sims rated to keep hours up I believe.

Question Re: Stapleford Tawney

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
    If anyone has a plan of Stapleford showing buildings that might be extant, other than the hangars (eg Battle HQ) post it here and I will try to find and photo them. Its not far from me.
    Its still quite a lively airfield with a flying school and a couple of light aircraft flight sims rated to keep hours up I believe.
    When the military stationed permanent staff at Stapleford, they would have had to build barracks for sleeping, eating, cooking etc. I think they were positioned along the A113 towards Abridge. I also believe there was an anti-aircraft camp in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by tc2324 View Post
    Just found this on Wiki..........

`Stapleford opened as Essex Aerodrome in 1933 as a base for Hillman's Airways who provided a service to Paris and other European cities using De Havilland DH.84 Dragon and DH.89 Dragon Rapide biplanes. Amy Johnson was one of the Hillman Airways pilots. After running into financial difficulties, Hillman was bought up by Whitehall Security Corporation Ltd and merged with three other airlines that they already owned to form British Airways Ltd. Operations began in 1936, but after 4 months all flights were moved to Heston Aerodrome, leaving just a small number of private aircraft.

The RAF took an interest in the airfield in 1937 and in 1938 No 21 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training school was established at Stapleford. Flying training was provided by Reid and Signist Ltd, under contract to the Air Ministry. One of the most famous students was J.E. "Johnnie" Johnson who became the RAF's top scoring pilot and reached the rank of Air Vice Marshal.`

................. It might explain the hangar looking more like a factory type rather than maintanance type..??? (If that makes sense...??)
    Hillman's Airways D.H.89 Dragon Rapide at Stapleford during 1935 - this aircraft still survives at East Fortune (W.N.Francis)

D.H.86 Express G-ADEC of Hillman's Airways at Stapleford Tawney, July - December 1935 (W.N.Francis)

The Express is a fine looking aircraft isn't it? Are there any surviving anywhere?

The Dragon, is that the one that is now registered as VH-SNB on display at the East Fortune museum?

ratki5

I believe that was Thurston's hangar where they built the Tawney Owl and assembled the Aircoupes!

Having stirred the gray cells, I think that the aircraft being built in that hangar at Stapleford was the Percival Prospector.

Robin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information