Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Silloth

Default Re: Silloth

Quote Originally Posted by hudgor44 View Post
    Would anyone be able to help me locate a plan for the drainage layout of the former RAF Silloth site?
    Definitely worth giving the RAF Museum at Hendon (and maybe TNA Kew) a call, of no use to you I know but I have drainage/sewerage and electrical (from memory) plans of St Athan, so they do exist for some stations.
    Nice pic by the way, are the Pickett Hamilton pop up forts still on site?

Thanks for that info, I will pass it on to our Eng manager and let him pursue it.. With regard to the PH forts at Silloth, I know of at least two, one of which A friend and myself were fortunate enough to be able to 'raise' in the early nineties... A local farmer had pumped the water out, refitted a new hydraulic hose to the 'pumping mechanism' which is operated by hand... I assume the PH in question will be again flooded, and I believe the access hatch to be padlocked.. These pair are located on the intersection of runways, towards the Causewayhead end.. Looking over the Breezeblock wall into the field towards the T2 Hangar, should help aid location..
    Some pics below..

HP Fort 1aif.jpg

HP Fort 2aif.jpg

HP Fort 4.jpg

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but have been interested in airfields for many years. I used to deliver to businesses at Silloth in the early 1990s (no pics unfortunately) and went to refresh my memory of the place in 2009. It has deteriorated somewhat, many of the companies using the site have gone and a number of buildings have followed. It's still worth a visit though.

452678317_2f59b5fd6d_z.jpg

452656818_68d1c297a9_z.jpg

452657200_41ca3549ac_z.jpg

452657488_8d742dbc38_z.jpg

452657584_4c050c4687_z.jpg

452657760_2f36da34d9_z.jpg

452658738_e58380402d_z.jpg

452658968_a4d6181c05_z.jpg

Sorry these are a bit random, there was a sunday market on at the time and I was trying to get shots without millions of people crowding them. Part of the reason this place is so trashed is that there is caravan site on one side of it and a huge car boot sale on the other.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scrooloose; 17-12-2011 at 12:01.

Type "A" Hangar on 26 May 1996. Barry Abraham / AiX-ARG Archives

Herewith a couple of pics taken in July 2007 at RAF Silloth, I had spied this airfield many a time from various airliners flying to and from Edinburgh to the south and back, made up my mind that one day I would pay a visit if travelling by car one day. So I took a detour through Cumbria on one occasion driving back from RIAT to my home in Rosyth, as the airfield is out of the way, it is the reason I found it remarkably preserved, but just last year I heard rumours that a firm wanted to re-develope the place, sadly the fate of many an old airfield, (the infrastructure is still there and an attraction to these developers .
    The two pics show the 'C' and 'D' hangars looking west towards the coast, on the way out I stopped to photograph the Guardroom from the main entrance, would anyone know of the latest update on any change for this airfield?, I continued my journey north happy that I had made the diversion, it must have been a good posting in the past.
    Best regards, Gerry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sorry for resurrecting an old thread however there only seems to be one PH recorded at Silloth so this pair would complete the trio - any chance of an approximate grid reference ?

Some work seems to have been done to secure the guardroom a bit recently...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_2 View Post
    Some work seems to have been done to secure the guardroom a bit recently...
    The new tennants, a motorcycle club I believe, want to keep it looking as original as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jorge View Post
    The new tennants, a motorcycle club I believe, want to keep it looking as original as possible.
    Thats good to know it will be looked after. Thanks for the update Jorge

Good news. They've at least repaired the rear compound wall where it had fallen down over the gateway, and fitted a brand new gate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information