Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Leuchars

Default Re: RAF Leuchars

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    Looking at a 1942 aerial I noticed a football pitch marked out in the airfield area. A bit unusual I would have thought or was it part of camouflage?
    Not that unusual, St Athan has a Rugby field, and until recently (when I intervened) a football/cricket pitch complete with pavilion/changing room, and a 1930s greens keeper building (demolished '07) adjacent to the main runway 08 threshold. They all show up well on GE.
    Such areas of regularly mown very short grass are not recommended to exist close to runways by MoD grass and bird safeguarding guidelines since the late '80s, maybe this is why Leuchars lost theirs?
    Culdrose probably is the worst case of ignoring safeguarding as they have a golf course on the airfield actually in the one of the undershoots and surrounding a threshold, typical Navy though.

It could have been later than the late eighties, although I cant recall the pitch being used much if at all on my second tour which was 89-91. I can recall some people using it for golf practice, but with permission!

And those cable engagements on the short were normally practice ones, the Phantom pilot had to do one a month. And now youve got me thinking when the pitch went out of use as of course the Phantom OCU was disbanded in January 1991.

Yep still in use when I arrived in March 90, the arrestor gear on the short had been put in for the salty seadogs; It was called a PUAG Purpose use arrestor gear.

happy days we took it out then put a PAAG onto the short !

Of course, POCU and the PSU were there for Fleet Air Arm aswel as RAF Phantom aircrew training and technical support.

The good thing about the Phantom was the fact that it was designed for arrester(or is it arrestor?) cable engagments.

Now that the Scottish election is out the way I wonder how long we will have to wait for any closure announcement re either Scottish base?

Or will it be a case of none of them closing as the indepent Royal Scottish Air Force takes them over?

SuperMod

Bye bye Leuchars, according to the Guardian, I am told. Army to take over from the RAF. Lossie to stay light blue.

Ah the good old Gruniad, so what will the army use the place for??? Mind you a nice large airfield would be an ideal for a unit to fly from if they have to go and biff jonny foreigner. As I ve said before as long as RAF senior officers play golf Leuchars is safe.

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread Information