Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggin Hill

These are few of my pics taken at Biggin over the last couple of years.

The e shapped building is the old aircrew selection building.Just to the right of the wing is the remains of the hanger destroyed in the B of B.

The next couple are the SHQ.

The officers mess

Officers and Aircrew selection centre

Entrance and guard house

I suspect the bombed hangar remains will outlive everything else!
    The bases of the other hangars bombed during the war are still on the south side next to the main road. Which was the one that W/C Grice blew up to stop it being used for target practice in 1940?

Peter

The site of the triple bay Belfast hanger and parade square was used as the base for the officer and aircrew selection centre.

Balders

Nice pics you have added there The bombed hanger you refer to...on checking your pic I assume its just the base of it that remains?

Just the base and the the small grey building with the slanted roof.If you have the boook Biggin on the Bump you will see on page 70 a nice of picture of the hanger next to the SHQ showing what is now left of the hanger.
    Below are a couple of pics the first with the shq to my left

In this one the SHQ is the red brick building in the distance on the left.

Balders

Liking the pics...and can see the remains now Have you read Bob Ogleys book ' Ghosts of Biggin Hill' ...author of Biggin on the bump I think? It shows some cool pics of remaining shelter, nissan huts etc tucked in woodland ( apparantly quite hard to find)....May be worth a trip to get some pics!

there are some buildings to the south of the base but the woods are so dense it is almost impossible to get into.If you look at my photobucket album(balders1812)there are some more pics.

Balders..Nice pics on your photo bucket collection. Have you tried to find these other buildings yourself then? At the mo ive been trying to get to a pillbox which i just off the main road opp Lunar Close...but at this time of yr the brambles are stopping my access. Lee

You are right it is difficult to see anything at the moment.Unless I can find some agent orange I will wait until the winter when it clears a bit.

Balders

As it happens, I may be able to help...

I took Bob Ogley around the buildings in the East Camp at Biggin when researching his book, and this part of the airfield will be open to the public during London Open House weekend on Sunday 21 September. There are guided tours, first one at 10.30, last one at 4.00pm - entry is free.

On show will be the last dispersal hut; pillboix; blast shelter; and surface sleeping shelter. Also on hand will be the 'RAF at War' living history group and the Spitfire 'Spirit of Kent'.

Just enter the airport via the roundabout and follow the green signs.

Cheers

Ianp

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information