Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Braunstone

Default Braunstone

This all grass airfield started out life in 1935 as the Municipal Airport for Leicester until the war years when it became a satellite for nearby Desford Aerodrome.

Heres a picture of the Hangars that once used to stand on the Eastern side of the site -

(Photo courtesy of the AiX-ARG Archive via Norwichpaul)

Today the entire site has dissapeared under a huge industrial estate. All that remains is the original Leicestershire Aero Club/Crilly Airways Hangar on the Western side of the airfield (Photo to come).

I'm having real trouble finding much in the way of old photographs of Braunstone Aerodrome either here on the net or in local librarys. If by any chance anybody has any i would really love to see them.

Cheers
    Steve

Default Re: Braunstone

http://www.leicestershirevillages.co...e-airfield.pdf

Stevie here's a bit of information.....you probably know all this anyway.....can't find any photo's though, not even of the "Airman's Rest" Pub.

Quote Originally Posted by WiganMick59 View Post
    http://www.leicestershirevillages.co...e-airfield.pdf

Stevie here's a bit of information.....you probably know all this anyway.....can't find any photo's though, not even of the "Airman's Rest" Pub.
    - Which has also been demolished!!!

Really do wish i'd got a few pics of the airmans rest pub which stood outside the now overgrown main enterance to the airfield. It only got demolished a few years ago and was the last real link to the airfields history having been built the same time (and style) as the aerodromes lovely art deco club house/control tower. Oh well. To late now!

Cheers for the link Mick. That was written by Roy Bonser. The guy who wrote "Aviation in Leicestershire and Rutland! My bible

Steve

I used to play in the old airfield as a kid (1960). There were many derelict buildings, including sleeping quarters. I can still remember the dampness and smell of oldness. I also used to drink at the airmens rest pub. Breaks my heart to think it has gone. I have not been back to Leicester since 1974

Cheers Rod,
    Unsuprisingly the Airmens Rest has been replaced by an ugly modern building. At least they've left the original pub sign posts where they were though (minus the sign obviously!). I've spoken to a few people who went on the airfield when it was a golf course and playing fields after the airport closed. I know the old Tower/club house survived for quite some time as well.

This believe it or not was once the main Airport Hangar during the 1930's and was used by both the Leicestershire Aero Club and Crilly airlines. It once housed DH Dragons,Monospars, Fox moth's etc etc...It's really hard to believe now. The old anti-collision light remained on top of the roof but even that has now gone. The original airfield refuelling stanchion still survived next to this building until several years ago as well but like everything else here it also vanished under the ever expanding Industrial Park.

Excuse the pic quality but heres the Hangar back in it's 'glory days' -

To the right of this picture would have been the old Art Deco Control Tower/Club House and directly in front would have been a nice grass aerodrome...Things have changed a bit as you can see! -

The Control Tower/Club House which survived until the 1970's -

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevie; 27-09-2010 at 22:58.

Fantastic Steve, it's great to see at least a trace of Leicester's first airport

Nice one Stevie - That's brought back a few memories. When was The Airmans demolished?

Cheers Ian,

The Airmens Rest was demolished about five years ago now sadly.

Sorry for the poor quality but pics of Braunstone Aerodrome are hard to come by so you have to make do with what you can find!!

Tiger Moth parked up in front of the Control Tower/Club House in the late 1930's

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information