Thread: Rhiwlas - No.31 MSU

Default Rhiwlas - No.31 MSU

Initially an SAA and pyro store, this was the main sub-site of No.31MU Llanberis. It had 25 Laing huts.

The main storage areas were coded typically, January 1-4, February 6-9, Main 5 & 10-12 etc (Those at Llanberis were named typically Wembley, Petticoat Lane, Earls Court, Oxford Street, Beachy Head etc)

7,000 tons of HE were moved here in April 1942 when the tunnels collapsed at Llanberis. Waenfawr was used as a tail unit storage site. The depot closed in August 1953.

Site is HERE, zooming in reveals many hut bases and hardstandings. Better view in Bing Maps

View of 'Monument, Tooting and Wembley (at Llanberis) HERE. The tunnel collapse is due east.

Posted as a query from another site.

Graham
    Last edited by Carnaby; 13-12-2009 at 01:36. Reason: typo

Default Re: Rhiwlas - No.31 MSU

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Thanks Martin, it has been many years since I trod that site. The ground seems to be unsuitable still for any agricultural use other than sheep grazing. One of my late uncles was born and lived in Llanberis and worked the slate quarries all his life so he had many tales to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    Thanks Martin, it has been many years since I trod that site. The ground seems to be unsuitable still for any agricultural use other than sheep grazing. One of my late uncles was born and lived in Llanberis and worked the slate quarries all his life so he had many tales to tell.
    Coincidentally my Taid was born in Brynrefail and whenever I visit the area I nearly always have a meal at the Caban which is on the site of the old school which several of his family contributed towards. I had been past Rhiwlas many times without realising what was in the fields. When I was at college someone told us about an interesting place at Llanberis where the go-kart club used to go, we wandered around the buildings near the bomb store many times without releasing the full significance, just wish I could find some photographs from then as I must have taken some.

MB

I am researching the Rhiwlas 31 MSU sub-site and would welcome any information about sources for the fascinating glimpses given in this thread. I am particularly keen to find information about where the HE was moved to within the Rhiwlas site, the conditions of storage and when the SAA and pyro were removed. I live next to the site and my interest is historical. I hope one of you can help me please. I know it is a bit of a long shot on and old thread, but fingers crossed.

Many thanks

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby View Post
    Initially an SAA and pyro store, this was the main sub-site of No.31MU Llanberis. It had 25 Laing huts.

The main storage areas were coded typically, January 1-4, February 6-9, Main 5 & 10-12 etc (Those at Llanberis were named typically Wembley, Petticoat Lane, Earls Court, Oxford Street, Beachy Head etc)

7,000 tons of HE were moved here in April 1942 when the tunnels collapsed at Llanberis. Waenfawr was used as a tail unit storage site. The depot closed in August 1953.

Site is HERE, zooming in reveals many hut bases and hardstandings. Better view in Bing Maps

View of 'Monument, Tooting and Wembley (at Llanberis) HERE. The tunnel collapse is due east.

Posted as a query from another site.

Graham
    Last edited by Richard N; 18-02-2014 at 07:21.

Thread Information