Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: YEMEN - Khormaksar

Default Re: RAF Khormaksar

Gents

For info I attach a image of RAF Hunters at Khormaksar carrying out a "78" formation flypast on the day of the presentation of the brand new (first) Sqn Standard to No 78 Sqn (also based at Khormaksar)

Tony H

78 Sqn Hunter Flypast.jpg

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Thanks for the above jeff, Richard and Tony H. It's nice to see images from yesteryear and I particularly enjoyes the colourful tale from 1925/26 which jeff linked..

Peter

I am in the process of electronically scanning all the photos from the Sqn archives to ensure we continue to have images of our history intact. There are literaly dozens of them from various locations where 78 have served since 1916. Should you or anyone want to see any more (in slow time) from any era of 78'S operational past I will be willing to post them here for the benefit of all, although NB I am shortly to depart on a four month "holiday in the sun and sand" so some may have to wait until August . . .

Rgds

Tony

DF

I just found a great wee site....

http://rafinegyptandaden1950sdudding...hormaksar.aspx

Even a bit before my time! Some great memories there.

Default Re: RAF Khormaksar, Aden

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    The high temperatures in Aden were matched by high humidity and the combination meant you sweated buckets since there was little evaporation from the skin. Going into a cooler space after being out in the open, especially shirtless, was an sure way to get body chill and lying under a fan - delicious as it felt - was to be avoided.

It is very likely that such chills could lead to pneumonia and death so there is some truth to the tale which I too have heard many times.
    It is very likely that such chills could lead to pneumonia and death so there is some truth to the tale which I too have heard many times.[/QUOTE]

I served in the REs in Aden from 1962 to 1964, and actually enjoyed my time there.

Perhaps that was because I found the climate ideally suited to me. For all my teens and early twenties I had suffered from chronic acne. The army in the UK tried some paste called Resorcin that removed the top layer of the skin on my back but did little else. UV lamps failed to clear my facial spots.

Then, although my Pulheems were FT Forward Temperate I was posted to Aden, to join a 13 strong RE unit supervising the construction of Twynham hut and concrete tent base camps supposedly to take troops displaced from east Africa after the independence of Kenya, Uganda and Tanganyika. But it was common knowledge that the 1.5 million scheme was to stall Nasser's pan-Arab empire, even though we'd heard Aden was soon to be given away.

I'd work from 0700 to 1300 in little more than KD shorts and boots, either outdoors in the direct heat and light of the sun, or in an open-sided tent with a single roof-mounted fan to cool me and the major, WOII and L/Cpl I worked with. Trying to type on an old mechanical typewriter or enter stock transfers into a massive Kalamazoo ledger in such conditions was the hard part of the job.

During my afternoons "off", Id go around Crater, Steamer Point or Maalla, while my mates lay on their pits or went swimming. Then I discovered the Aden Services Saddle Club, near Isthmus. There Id ride and school the horses, besides building new loose boxes (with timber, Twynham hut sheeting, cement, sand and ballast scrounged through the resources major) and, out of discarded wooden shipping crates, etc, a club hut that became a store for the sawdust and shavings we used as bedding for the horses.

Even on Sundays, Id take myself off above the Victorian (?) Chapel Hill barrack block I was initially billeted in to where there was the flat concrete top to underground water tanks. Id spend the day reading, stripped naked to ensure the acne did not return. Thanks to my naturally oily skin, I never burned. On three leaves to east Africa, the humidity there was enough to bring the acne out again. Little point in going to chase the girls in Malindi if I was going to be a confidence-sapped spotty sapper.

On the aircraft front, I flew out from the UK to Aden and back in VC10s. My first flying experience had been in an Auster from Roborough near Plymouth on a joyride to Torbay that never got there because the weather was so bad. And two short periods of service in BAOR had me flying from RAF Manston to RAF Rheindahlen. I had also done some airportability exercises, throwing airportable loads out of the side of a Hastings flying at tree-top height around Oxfordshire. My leaves to east Africa were in, I believe, either DC4s or Avro Yorks, but certainly a Beverley and an Argosy. Also, while I was in Aden an Argosy managed to land in the harbour.

After demob, I went out to Africa and Australia. In Lesotho I flew from Maseru airport to the mountain airstrips, and was partly responsible for the successful construction of Pelaneng (PEL) airstrip, going in on the second Cessna to land there. In Western Australia, on the survey for what is now the Argyle diamond mine, I flew in Bell Jetrangers doing surface mineral collection.

On subsequent holidays all as a passenger still, I have flown around the Caribbean in de Havilland Dash Sevens, on commercial jets to many destinations, and before the anti-terrorism security clampdown, I was on the flight deck of a Tri Star coming in to Heathrow at night. Ive also flown on an Airship Industries 600 G-SKSC from Cardington.

Now I pilot my computer desk and find blue skies on the monitor. Thinking again of Aden, it was the air-conditioned accommodation blocks and offices that caused most of the health problems. The sudden jumps from around 70 F to close to 100 F and back did more to shock the body than days and nights under those slowly revolving fans and glassless windows. And no punkah wallahs.

Default Re: ADEN - Radfan / Thunier

Welcome to AiX sapper and thanks for the personal anecdotes.

Kalamazoo! Now, that method of recording brings back memories handling the large rigid hard covers and visible edge enclosures. When they became redundant I converted one into a stamp album!

Default Re: ADEN - Radfan / Thunier

Thanks Peter the eater. My contribution to re/mis-using S.O. items was cutting down lever arch files to quarto size, then bending the arched bars straight before cutting them off or short. They made ideal photo albums, with S.O. manilla card cut to size and hole-punched. The final touch was covering the files with gummed brown parcel tape - I can still taste it now! And I still have some of the files, along with the photos I took in Aden. Alas, no aircraft or airport pictures.

My great contribution to the building of Lesotho's Pelaneng airstrip was to use a hundred assorted animals - cattle, oxen, horses, sheep and goats - to compact the bulldozed soil before an old upturned lorry bed was towed behind Land-Rovers as a crude grader. And to think the REs later had airfield construction squadrons: "in 1966 the role and responsibilities of the RAF Airfield Construction Branch were transferred to the Royal Engineers and a number of RAF officers and airmen joined the Corps". That must have hurt the Brylcreem boys!

Default Re: YEMEN - Khormaksar

Some photos from the ARG Archives of RAF Khormaksar, c.1961

Default Re: YEMEN - Khormaksar

The third picture is of the higher part of RAF Steamer Point containing HQMEC, the RAF Hospital and barrack blocks.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information