Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: YEMEN - Khormaksar

Default YEMEN - Khormaksar

RAF Khormaksar, Aden

Viewing Aden International Airport in GE, the old RAF station area to the southwest is looking in a bit of a sorry state......
    Still, there are a few hangars remaining, but what types?

I also noted the compass loop is still visible at the northern end of the vanishing NNW-SSE runway, which is slightly more than can be said of the NE-SW runway.

Default Re: RAF Khormaksar, Aden

I used to work with a guy who did his national service there. Worked on radio equipment when the Tempests were there. I seem to recall he did the training but didn't really understand it all fully so repair meant keep replacing bits until it worked (sound like todays PC repairmen!). It was okay until a Tempest had to make an emergency landing due to smoke coming from the radio compartment.

Another story, one he had heard, was an aircraftsman coming back into barracks after sweating it out in the sun, dived on his bed under the fan and died. I am a bit suspicious about that one but it always stuck in my memory.

I lived in AMQ with my Mum & Dad in 1946/47, Dad was [then Flight Sergeant] Joe Cooper, PNK's story re the Fan and Heat, I have heard similar before.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

The high temperatures in Aden were matched by high humidity and the combination meant you sweated buckets since there was little evaporation from the skin. Going into a cooler space after being out in the open, especially shirtless, was an sure way to get body chill and lying under a fan - delicious as it felt - was to be avoided.

It is very likely that such chills could lead to pneumonia and death so there is some truth to the tale which I too have heard many times.

Default RAF Khormaksar, Aden

My grandfather was stationed at Khormaksar from 1925 to 1927, just before 8 sq. arrived.

I am trying to locate the site of the original coumpond on the ground.

I have a couple of photographs he took that I will post in the RAF Khormaksar thread.

Incidently, I now live under the approach to Biggin Hill, about 6km North East. Granddad was there too for a short while in the early 20s and married a local girl!

I went to a couple of air shows there when I was a boy, but I've not been back since, although I do drive past it fairly often.

I really must make the effort to go next time there's a open day.

Richard

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Welcome Richard, between war pictures are rare on AiX so I look forward to seeing your posts.

My Grandfather was stationed here from 1925 to 1927 as part of the Aden Flight, before 8 sq. arrived.

He took these two photographs in May 1926

I have also obtained this image, apparently taken in 1927

I'm trying to locate this compound on the ground using Google Earth and a VERY high quality 1966 map at www.bpadenkids.com

The planes in the aerial picture are Brisfits with a wingspan of c.12m, which makes the compound (very roughly!) about 165x125m

On the back of one of his pictures, Granddad states that the "line across the front is the Aden Light Railway which passes the aerodrome edge."

I believe that this along with the original Sheikh Othman road is the linear feature on the areial photo. If I'm correct, north is to the left of the aerial picture, and to the right of Granddad's.

I think this compound ought to be adjacent to the west of the original Sheikh Othman road (which I believe used to cross the contemporary runway!), just to the south of the modern runway.

I can't definitely identify any of these buildings on the ground now, so I'm a bit stuck. If anybody has any further thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

My apologies for rambling on a bit, but I've got rather obsessed by this since I started trying to organise a collection of old family photographs during the Christmas holidays.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the photographs.

Richard Hards

The BP maps are huge. Thanks for posting the link for them.

With the lack of identifiable features on modern maps the only way to be certain is to create a sequence where a feature from each is present in the next thereby retaining a reference. The problem with that is finding the maps/photos.
    Hopefully some AiX members may be able to help.

Have you tried the RAF Museum ot The National Archives?

Hi Richard

I am afraid that your grandfather was way ahead of my time but I used Khormaksar on the Singapore slip to Changi from 1962 until the withdrawal from Aden. Never my favourite place on the face of the earth but I do have happy memories of the beach at Tarshyne, shopping at Steamer Point and our eventual move to Britannia House that improved the accommodation situation somewhat.

Hi Richard

I am afraid that your grandfather was way ahead of my time but I used Khormaksar on the Singapore slip to Changi from 1962 until the withdrawal from Aden. Never my favourite place on the face of the earth but I do have happy memories of the beach at Tarshyne, shopping at Steamer Point and our eventual move to Britannia House that improved the accommodation situation somewhat.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information