Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: YEMEN - Khormaksar

Default Re: RAF Khormaksar, Aden

Apparently, the only picture held by the RAF Museum
    Officially described as "circa 1919"

It's obviously the same compound, but I'm not sure that there's one building in the same location six or seven years later!

The hunt continues!

Richard

The former No. 8 Squadron Compound at Khormaksar is long gone but there must be a map somewhere that shows it's original position. I'd like to know myself. There is no evidence of the remains of it on satellite photos now. I have a photo of it in 1928 and there are a few more buildings than shown in your 1927 photo, but it's essentially the same. You are right in saying the right of your granddad's photo is approx north. The Sheikh Othman Road and railway used to run straight across the runway and if you look closely on Google Earth you can the remains of the road. Look a bit closer and you can also see the 2 original runways which were at approx 48 degrees and 323 degrees. The compound would have been somewhere near the southernmost intersection of these runways, I believe. There used to be a barrier gate with a guard who controlled traffic on the SO Rd when the runway was in use. There is a story that the drivers of camel carts on their way home out of Aden would fall asleep as the camel knew the way home. One time (at least) the crossing guard turned the camel around, with the driver still asleep, and sent it back from where it had come. I often wonder what that driver thought when he finally woke up. All the best, Peter Pickering www.adenairways.com

I was based at khormaksar on detachment from 280su cape gata cyprus in 1961,when Sadam threarened to invade kuwait.
    We took a mobile type 14 mk7 on a tank landing craft from famagusta-steamer point via suez,red sea.What a journey the ship rolled like a pig,it stank and the food was ****.
    Later we took the system up country to the radfan area where after a few weeks the emergency blew over and we flew back to Akrotiri via khartoum,el adem,in a old hastings.

Quote Originally Posted by P Bellamy View Post
    Viewing Aden International Airport in GE, the old RAF station area to the southwest is looking in a bit of a sorry state......
    Still, there are a few hangars remaining, but what types?
    Looking at the wonderful photos on the Radfan Hunters site, there appear to be two Type B hangars remaining, with T2s elsewhere.
    I'm not sure what the hangars between the Type Bs were (one demolished) though.

Some great colour photos of armourers at work in the galleries for Peter on that site too.

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by P Bellamy; 28-01-2011 at 15:21.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Excellent memory pics on that site. I was part of the 208 Squadron support at Bahrein when they became the resident Squadron.

Excellent tractor image showing all the signs and markings of the time. Also background images of the ubiquitous prefabricated building known as a Twyneham. Corrugated aluminium cladding acted like a baker's oven in Gulf temperatures!

Definately one B (possibly two), a Bellman and a few T2. The sunshine hangar appears to be a Dorland but cannot be sure.

My father was stationed at Khormaksar between 1925 and 1927. The photo states on the back 'Technical Compound'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Excellent picture jasper; thanks for sharing and welcome to AiX.

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    Excellent picture jasper; thanks for sharing and welcome to AiX.
    Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately don't don't have any more airfield
    pix. I think the others are crashed aircraft, others flying over Aden.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    My father was stationed at Khormaksar between 1925 and 1927. The photo states on the back 'Technical Compound'.
    Fantastic photo jasper.

My grandfather was stationed at Khormaksar between October 1925 and April 1927. You might like to have a look at this flickr set, you might find your father on there. We might need to take this off this site if we go a bit too off-topic here!

I've been trying to place the original compound in relation to the later airfield (see post 7 on page 1 of this thread) for some time and I think I've just had a bit of a breakthrough. Details to follow.

Best wishes
    Richard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information