Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Goose Neck's

Default Re: Gooseneck Flare Simulation - Comments Please!

Hi All

Peter - I'm not sure about the 'cover', hardly anyone mentions them, in fact there's only one reference to them that I've found and that's the one Bucaneer66 mentions. I can see the idea of the hood preventing the light going upwards and giving away the airfield and I can easily model such a hood but I'd need to be happier that they would have been used at Oakington.

Tarkey - I don't think that the hood concept was fully understood - can you ask Vic if there was a three legged metal stool (if you like) that was placed over the top of the gooseneck. It wasn't part of the gooseneck.

Cheers

James

Default Re: Gooseneck Flare Simulation - Comments Please!

I have asked him again and sent him a link to the You Tube

He will be delighted

Tarkey

Default Gooseneck Flares

These three different types of Gooseneck Flares are on display at NASAM, FLixton

Default Re: Gooseneck Flares

We have one of the rare cast types (on the right) in our Archive. Courtesy of NP.

Just found this in a book about RAF Oulton.

Laying out the flare path on the grass landing strip for night flying, with two other airmen we loaded a truck with metal trays, some 24ins square and a number of ‘Goose necks’ which were akin to metal watering cans, these were filled with paraffin and sported a wick instead of a rose and with them we had a number of battery powered Glim lamps for taxying guides. These goose neck were placed in their trays at intervals along the strip and lit, a colleague was stationed at each end with myself in the middle, it continued through the night while aircraft carried out circuits and landings, we stamped our feet and rubbed our hands and awaited enemy intruders in order to run the strip and douse the flares.
    T. C. Long Armourer RAF Oulton 1941

I managed to obtain a Wells cart Iron type Gooseneck today via ebay (same type shown in the last photo) I decided to collect it in person rather than risk it being delivered by courier.
    I was told that it was used at Lasham in the War.
    It appears the seller had another one but it was sold in advance of my purchase, after the 145 mile round trip I decided to see if it was able to hold any liquid it was no surprise to find that there was a crack in the base, possibly caused by it having water inside it and freezing at some stage, however I can restore it by filling the crack and repaint it in its original yellow paint (plenty of that at my work place still!).
    A photo will follow when its restored.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Now that's dedicated collecting! If there ever is a summer in the UK you will be able to light up the BBQ area with it and show off!

Cool Re: Gooseneck Flares

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    If there ever is a summer in the UK
    Tsk tsk. 1 Oct today and temps expected to reach approx 29C.

And being a pedant, 1st of October is NOT summer!!!!!!!

Whoo Hoo

Found some Gooseneck flares in various places. This one from the Air Museum in Sunderland
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information