Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Goose Neck's

Default Re: Gooseneck Flare Simulation - Comments Please!

Interesting thread.. and looking for info whenever I get a few moments.

Thought I'd struck gold with a 1943 copy of the RAF advanced flying instructors handbook (AP1723b). A comprehensive section about night flying but it seems to assume that aircraft are destined for paved runways with two sets of lights and equipped with Descent Path Indicators (SBA) for location and approach slope guidance - no mention of goosenecks or any lighting diagrams. (maybe there's another handbook for elementary flying training - (AP1723a presumably)

I think one needs to be careful about the need to get this simulation right. As I mentioned earlier the 'Standard Flarepath' was far from standard.

My experience (with hindsight!) of reading Air Publications is that they are frequently very wrong. The modern equivalent is the computer software instruction manual which describes 'this is how it was meant to be'. They then omit the essential 'you may however find it behaves in a very different manner.

Browsing through numerous TNA documents on technical stuff over the years, it became obvious that many stations 'did their own thing', especially when it came to airfield lighting and synthetic training simulators. They used whatever was available at the time to produce something which worked for them. Regarding synthetic training, this later produced standards such as the Harwell Box, Thornaby Recce Trainer, Manby Spotlight Trainer, Finningley Allez-Allez Crew Trainer etc. These would then be copied and installed at appropriate airfields, though many devices remained unique as that particular station remained convinced that it was the optimum.

Of course the Drem system became the norm for electric ground lighting, and this standard system was installed on large number of airfields. However towards the end of the war the Drem MK.III variant had been specified yet I have only discovered one airfield which claimed to have had it installed (Condover !). Elements of that version were already in use at a large number of airfields.

With flares it was probably a matter of 'how many can we get our hands on?' and how best to utilise them.

Graham

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Here here!

Have a read on this you may like the lead in light Graham http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a7771962.shtml

Thanks buccaneer. Fascinating!

It does confirm the use of a metal hood to shield the goosenecks. Setting up a flarepath must have been very time consuming.

Also - a new one - the remote bonfire to indicate the turn-in to the runway! They must have been hard-up at this station. By 1940 the self powered electric floodlight (Chance Light) was normally used to provide this function. (Probably spent all their allowance on gooseneck hoods).

Prior to Drem Mk.II two self powered lights would be used, the other was at the runway threshold. Drem Mk.II only had the latter.

Hi

I remember looking at Buccaneer66s reference a while ago and mentioned it in a forum (can't find it now, could have been here!). The response was that the metal hood was only for the larger flares, a name was given...

Anyway, Tarkey can this be another one for Vic? Did his goosenecks have a three-legged metal cover?

Cheers

James

Vic's reply

goosenecks were flat bottomed no legs, just like an oversized oil can like engine drivers used on the railway about a foot in length and six inches or more deep vic

Thanks to All

I'm going to start my full animation now - lots of stuff needs 'fiddling' with and resizing so it will take a while. Meantime a final draft animation with a Stirlings wash catching a gooseneck! Made the flame a bit more smokey.

I've lit up the aircraft's landing light just for effect really!

Thanks for all the input - keep going if you have more!!

James
    Last edited by jamesinnewcastle; 12-02-2011 at 03:53.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Looks good to me! Now you have to consider the reflector hood mentioned in the link given in Post #25 (above). Good job James!

James great stuff

I will show Vic and he will be pleased. He didnt mention this but his favourite aircraft was a Stirling having worked on them at Stoney Cross Tarkey

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information