Thread: Nottingham Heliport

Default Nottingham Heliport

Can anyone give me a location of where this was please? I know it was adjacent to a railway line but as there is a few of those around Nottingham I have got a bit lost! I doubt very much if there is any trace of the heliport left now.

Default Re: Nottingham Heliport

Cant help exactly but maybe one of these?

http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk...ngsitelist.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Cant help exactly but maybe one of these?

http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk...ngsitelist.asp
    Hi Jerry

sadly not on the list that I could see so I guess it must have closed. Good list of landing sites on there by the way, I've book marked the page for future use!

You mean this place?

SK553384 or thereabouts. Now all under Dunkirk Ind Est, Lenton. Closed around 1960 IIRC. I have more details but not to hand ATM.

Thats the place Ossington - many thanks for that, I had a feeling it had been developed over. Great photo as well.

FLASHEARTH LOCATION LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington_2008 View Post
    You mean this place?

SK553384 or thereabouts. Now all under Dunkirk Ind Est, Lenton. Closed around 1960 IIRC. I have more details but not to hand ATM.
    I run the website for Lenton Local History Society. We have some photos of the Heliport - http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/streets/lenton_lane.htm - but would love to use this in our Lenton Gallery. Is this your photo? If not do you know where it came from?

An art studio near Newton & Syerston, Notts

Hi Paul, welcome to AiX.

Ossington will no doubt confirm the origin of this image, but I'm fairly sure it was featured in an article in the Bygones supplement to the Nottingham Evening Post a few years ago. I think I have a copy somewhere (An aviation in Nottinghamshire special) which might reveal the answer, otherwise, only Andy Smart or David Lowe, the journalists who work on Bygones could tell you if it was taken by a Post photographer or submitted by a reader.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks TOB

An art studio near Newton & Syerston, Notts

Here is a link to a news item about a new helipad planned at the Queen's Medical Centre, which is very close to site of this 1950s helipad at Dunkirk/Lenton Road Ind Estate.

The link is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-27987900
    Last edited by TOB; 25-06-2014 at 09:35.

I seemed to have missed the updates to this thread, so this is a v late reply. The B&W image I did copy from "Bygones" but, as it happens, I had a brief ferret into the AiX archive after the AGM, and found a print of the same photo, fairly large, maybe 6X8ish? I can't tell you where though, but there is a shelf or two of what I suspect was originally the Barry Abrahams collection. I'd like a scan of it one day too.

Thread Information