Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burn

Junior Member Grp. Capt. Buggernuts's Avatar

Default Burn

Trying to build this airfield in FS2004. I have site plans for both the Airfield and the Dispersed sites.
    The Airfied plans fade to nothing half way up the airfied heading north and the Dispersed site plans are very grainy and difficult to read. There are no Building Numbers on the aifield plans ( they're on the end that has gone) and no building type descriptions or numbers on the dispersed sites. Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated
    Based at Burn Mk. II does help with some of the buildings on both sites but is limited. A brilliant book on the operations of the resident squadron if you can get hold of it!

Again any help what-so-ever will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 03-01-2012 at 23:07.

Default Re: RAF Burn

Sept 1979

The Watch Tower in 1979? I'd heard that it came down in '77. Not even much of a pile of rubble these days to mark the spot. Such a pity!
    Any idea on a type and Drg.No.? Looks like 12779/41 because of the large bottom windows. 343/43 was the same design but small windows at the bottom. I would have thought 343/43 since Burn was built in '43

You may have been miss informed as according to my notes I took that on 29-09-79, I dont think i would be as much as two years out but its possible.

The building is 12096/41, the clue is the upstand concrete beam. Though it was obviously built later than 1941.

I saw it in 1977 but that doesn't really help.

Ah! just gone over everything I took and my old diarys between 1977 (when I started) and 1979 at seems you are correct. My first visit there was 04-07-77 and the second visit was 29-09-79 when in fact I was astonished that it had gone. So 1977 it is. Its funny because I didn't think I had my passport then to enter Yorkshire but obviously I did.

What kinda building details are you after??
    If you want photo of a particualr building then give a shout, may well have photos from other sites that would match. The Watch office 12906/41 is still extent at RAF Wickenby.

PS Not 100% sure as its been a while but ... wasn't the Watch office at Melbourne tha same type??
    I know it has been restored and it looks grand
    Last edited by Able Mabel; 02-02-2010 at 10:42.

I don't have any building numbers at all. I'm trying to get a clearer dispersed sites plan from the RAFM for better descriptions. But no numbers on either plans! No ruddy descriptions on the Airfield plan either! So any ideas from any source material would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I look after the 578 squadron web-site. I cannot add anymore information to the layout of the airfield at Burn but if you PM me I'll send you the email addresses of the Squadron historians who may have more information.

Squadron records are held at YAM at Elvington. They focus on the sqaudron but may have some airfield details.

Regards all,

Paul.

A 578 Sqdn Halifax lifts off from the end of runway 33.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information