Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seighford

Default Seighford

I have been looking into the history of RAF Seighford in Staffordshire. There are quite a few buildings left, including the tower and adjacent buildings...plus much of the tech area (which is now a trading estate) and parts of the runways

What seems to be in short supply on the web are WW2 and later photographs - particularly aerial views. Where would be the best places to find those ?
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 21-02-2012 at 00:00.

Default Re: RAF Seighford

After a quick google search, the 'Hollybush' public house in the village seems to have a large collection of photographs showing the airfield during its working life.
    You could try there and tactfully ask if you could scan/copy the images they hold?
    Last edited by Denis; 23-01-2010 at 22:13. Reason: correct a spelling mistake

Hi Sparky
    have a look at the book "The military airfields of britain" Wales and West Midlands by Ken Delve,shows the ww2 layout of the site and the units that were stationed there,a good source of info,thats if you havnt allready seen or got it ,all the best
    regards Ian

Thanks for the information on possible photo sources - will look out for the suggested books. Sounds like a good excuse for a pint or two as well !!

And thanks for the kind comments on the photo - below is another...

There are a few more buildings and a pill-box type structure I will be photographing over the next few months.

All the best,

Martin
    Last edited by Sparky67; 09-04-2010 at 11:53.

Default RAF Seighford

Some photos of RAF Seighford taken in 2009. Will be adding more when I can.

RAF Seighford was built in 1943 as a satellite airfield for RAF Hixon and became a base for 30 OTU flying Wellingtons, and later for 23 Heavy Glider Conversion Unit. The training unit closed in 1947.

In 1956 Boulton Paul Aircraft acquired the airfield as a flight test centre. The Vickers 633 Tay-Viscount jet airliner was fitted with fly-by-wire controls and developed at Seighford. Then, in 1961, the airfield became home to Canberras and Lightnings, which assisted in the development of AI and other electronic systems. Boulton-Paul terminated its operations from Seighford and vacated the site in 1965. The airfield closed in 1966.

Met Office and Signals Block in foreground. Control Tower, Operations and Crew Briefing at rear.

Now, the north side of the airfield - all grass - is operated by the Staffordshire Gliding Club, the south side by a 'driving experience' company who use the remains of one of the runways.

Over the main road the technical site is now a buzzing trading estate, with some of the original buildings still extant, albeit modified in some cases.

More to follow when I get time.

Martin
    ---
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sparky67; 03-06-2011 at 22:52.

Public access ?

The Staffordshire Gliding Club operate from the northern grass area so no public access to there, and the southern side is in use by an events organisation at times. The ex-tech site trading estate is open, certainly weekdays, and it's probably possible to wander around there to view the old hangars and other modified buildings, being aware of large vehicles, fork-lifts etc running around the site of course. Not done that myself, so can't say for certain. Although I can recommend the transport cafe.

From the side road opposite the trading estate a track leads down to the gliding clubhouse, and it is possible to view the watch office and other buildings from along there. I am a member of the club, so perhaps have better access to the airfield than non-members would.

The OS map shows public footpaths which run along part of the peri track, passing some dispersals, and across part of the airfield to the remains of a runway, stopping short of crossing the gliding field. Another FP runs through the bomb store.

Public access is shown HERE

HTH
    Last edited by Sparky67; 07-06-2012 at 13:41. Reason: Expanded reply to a question.

I know Sparky67 has this place under his wing,and without doubt, got these images but here goes

all the best Sparky67 on the research of this site place

cheers Ian

Interesting to see the 3-bay MT shed as they are usually in four bays or possibly if short of room, 2-bay. Could it posibly be the N.F.E. store?
    The roof line from this angle is a little deceptive ...

Are you able to idenfy the building in the THIRD photo ?
    Thought it may have been a Dinghy shed but i dont believe they had a 'back door'

Quote Originally Posted by Able Mabel View Post
    Interesting to see the 3-bay MT shed as they are usually in four bays or possibly if short of room, 2-bay. Could it posibly be the N.F.E. store?
    The roof line from this angle is a little deceptive ...

Are you able to idenfy the building in the THIRD photo ?
    Thought it may have been a Dinghy shed but i dont believe they had a 'back door'
    High Able
    i think it is the N,F,E store possible 12411/41
    the third photo not sure ,but it was it was next to the tower,

NFE is correct

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information