Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 MU Hartlebury

Default 25 MU Hartlebury

Hartlebury - 25MU, UED/AED

I am quite interested in any history of 25MU at RAF Hartlebury. Some of the out lying bomb stores and I believe a rocket storage site are still visable in the the local area.I have visted some of the factories that are there now but can only find a little bit of history.
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 02-06-2012 at 12:43.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: R.A.F. Hartlebury

As far as I know, there were no munitions storage areas within a 16 mile radius of 25 MU Hartlebury. If you give me a location of what you think were bomb or rocket storage areas I will try and help you on that aspect.

I shall leave the history of the MU to those AiX members who have the knowledge.

Hartlebury opened in September 1938 as a Universal Equipment Depot, later becoming part of No.40 Group Maintenance Command. Its nearest partners were Stafford to the north, and Quedgeley to the south. The other UEDs were: Carlisle, Handforth, Heywood, and Milton. These depots were then renamed Universal Equipment Wings for a while. They dealt originally in supplying every item of hardware that the RAF needed, but would have no involvement in weapons and ammunition which were under the control of 42 Group.

By 1942 a number of new installations had been developed at pre-war storage sites and were called 'Barrack & Clothing Depots', located at Dumfries, Newport, Nottingham, Salford, Wakefield, and Wembley These took over the relevant stocks from the UEWs, which were then renamed 'Aircraft Equipment Depots' and held everything from 'complete engines to split-pins' (Air Ministry quote).

I suspect the closest RAF amunition depot would be the short-lived 21MSU Linley 20 miles away near Walsall. Hartlebury did however did store quantities of empty weapon containers in common with other UEDs, but only around 1939.

Hartlebury like the other UEDs had a significant number of dispersed sub-sites, several of which are quite well preserved - Note the trading estates and depots here. Useful site plans are available from RAFM Hendon.

The ample telephone network / exchange was to prove vital when sections of the Air Ministry moved out of London to Worcester around 1940 under the 'Black Plan'.

You may be confusing the RAF site with the adjacend ROF Summerfield, here. Info (re rockets) is here.

Graham

Many thanks all. I have been told that there was a rocket research/storage facility that was run by I.C.I for the R.A.F. and then handed over fully in the 60s. When I see him I'll ask for more information.

AVIA 49/14 at TNA refers to ROF Summerfield being partly loaned to/operated by ICI.

The test range for Summerfield is at Buttonoak in the Wyre forest,just outside Bewdley,and is very accsessable

I didnt realise that some air ministry units moved to Worcester. I believe that if invasion had occured the government and indeed parliament were meant to move to Stratford on Avon and the royal family were menat to move to Madresfield Court near Malvern.

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    I didnt realise that some air ministry units moved to Worcester.
    See HERE

And so thats why there were all those RAF personnel at Harrogate until not that long ago.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information