Thread: The poor man's Crash 1

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default The poor man's Crash 1

Taken by me on detachment to Gaydon from RAF Leeming in 1968 or 9 where assembled JP units put together a 'flypast' in the shape of E 11 R (Elizabeth the Second Regina) as part of the RAF contribution to whatever celebration it was.

If my memory is good, the vehicle is a '1 ton Bedford' ?

Default Re: The poor man's Crash 1

Might it have been 50th anniversary of the RAF? I remember seeing it on telly.

Nice scan. I actually found thet my Dad's Kodachrome slide from the 60s and even the 50s were in better condition than mine from the 70s. Odd.

That was it! I was confusing the event with HM Queens various Jubilee's.

As this picture was taken in the UK the film stock was either Perutz or Kodakchrome which tended to be more contrasty than Ektachrome on which most of my overseas images were taken. Colder climate too!

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    ... my Dad's Kodachrome slide from the 60s and even the 50s were in better condition than mine from the 70s. Odd.
    Remember reading on many occasions in the past that since Kodachrome worked in a totally different way from any other colour film (inc Ektachrome) it should last very much longer than anything else.

Just Wiki'd it:
    Kodachrome is fundamentally different from other transparency and negative color films that have dye couplers incorporated into the emulsion layers. Kodachrome is unique because it has no dye couplers in the emulsion; these are introduced during processing. Without couplers, the emulsion layers are thinner, causing less light scattering and allowing the film to record a sharper image.
    When stored in darkness, Kodachrome's long-term stability under ordinary conditions is superior to other types of color film; images on Kodachrome slides over fifty years old retain accurate color and density.
    Graham

That explains it then. I always look at me at Butlins, Clacton, in 1957 and wondered why the colour were so vivid,especially the reds which are sharp. Also have cine film as well but the quality is poor to start with on that.

Might be worth creating a storage and archivers thread. Especially for those different types of film that don't fair so well. Also paper prints etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    Might be worth creating a storage and archivers thread.
    Agree with that - also feel that a software / applications / techniques thread would be useful. Today I spent 45 mins learning how to combine photos into one image. Many of the ideas on the web are dire - there's a YouTube video in which the author keeps clicking on the wrong buttons and has to then hit 'cancel' to get back. If he'd rehearsed it the video would be half the size. His method didn't work for me.

Graham

The paradox for me is that I always found Kodakchrome to 'contrasty' and 'vivid' for my taste; I preferred the 'thinner' saturation of other emulsions.In that era, on airman's pay, an important factor was cost. Kodachrome was the most expensive.

Just realized that image is 42 years old!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Safety equippers had one of these at Waddo during the 60s for recovery of brake chutes from the runway. In the 70s one was also in use on Forward Supply. Preferred vehicle on nights due to the enclosed cab and the extra efficient heater. The other option to the shift was the Bedford CF extended chassis with Hawson bodywork and rear roller shutter.

A Bedford TJ Peter, or at least that was the civilian designation.

Thread Information