Thread: LEEMING - Squadrons Memorial

Default LEEMING - Squadrons Memorial

Hope its ok to add to this thread, heres a few taken on RAF Leeming about July 1985.

Think this were near the main gate area.

Default Re: Leeming, Yorkshire

Outside SHQ opposite the guardroom . It was the main gate before the airfield expansion in 1987-88 when a new access road and main gate was built which by-passed Gatenby village . There are several small plaques there , all mounted around the flagstaff .

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

I didn't know that it had changed so much.

I was at Leeming 1968 through 1970 when I left the RAF end of service.

I spent a lot of my time as Assistant Station Photographer since it was a digital post and the actual Photographer tradesman had to cover most other bases in the area too and do the processing. I was an Armourer but was appointed NCO i/c the Photo Section which was located in the original rooms upstairs in the Armoury building.

The CO was Group Captain John Rawlings who later became a successful aviation history author. He was always keen to maintain a photographic record of Leeming. Only one camera was authorized in the scale, a Rolliflex so I used my own camera(a Topcon R2 35mm SLR) to supplement but used service films. Coverage of 'passouts' was demanding since a 'shot' of every student getting his wings was required which meant some deft film changing to avoid delays.

I lived in the Sergeants Mess then and the usual on and off station route was via Gatenby Lane with all its twists and turns but there was a 'tee' onto the A1 then. Looking on GE it seems that the A1 is now motorway status and a new dedicated Exit/Access has been provided linked to the new access road to the base. Who paid for that ? (apart from the taxpayer!)

SuperMod

Peter: Are you thinking of the late John D R Rawlings, the aviation author? If so, I think he is a different person to Gp Cap John Rawlings. John D R Rawlings was a Vicar and prolific writer on RAF historical matters. He died a few years ago.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Oh! How are the mighty fallen?

I always thought that the Leeming CO was he, the author. Anyway, the CO I knew was still keen on recording.

Thread Information