Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipswich

Default Ipswich

RAF Ipswich/Ipswich Airport

I haven't time at the moment to transfer any photos/posts of Ipswich Airport at the moment, but for the time being I can place a link of my own forum to here

http://rafmartlesham.activeboard.com...picID=32761248

Default Re: RAF Ipswich/Ipswich Airport

Two photos of Ipswich Airport taken 11 June 1992 that are on display at the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum, Flixton.

Default Re: RAF Ipswich/Ipswich Airport

Terminal building, unfortunately it was 'rebuilt' in the early 2000s. How much is original i'm not too sure.

'Airfield' in front of the Terminal

This hangar was originally at Ipswich, it's now at Flixton as part of the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum complex.

ratki5

Default Ipswich in the 1960's

I learnt to fly at Ipswich in 1964 and have a number of photographs from that era. This shot is an aerial view taken in 1965/1966.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ratki5

Default Re: Ipswich in the 1960's

Here is one of the GAL Cygnet that was based there at the time.

Although privately owned, Stan Ward the CFI of EAFC used it to teach his wife to fly.

A couple of really nice photos ratki5, the hangar in the photo above of the Cygnet looks like the Boulton & Paul hangar that was re-located to the museum Flixton

ratki5

I hadn't realised that the hangar had been re-located. Sounds like a trip to Flixton is called for!

Here is one of Hornet Moth G-ADLY with an EAFS Proctor behind!

Its well worth a trip to Flixton ratki5, here are some photos of the plan of the hangar that is on display inside the former Ipswich B&P Hangar

ratki5

Thank you for posting the hangar plans Ref.

I remember the office in the far right-hand corner well. My father was Station Engineer in 1955 and I remember sitting in there quite often waiting for something to happen on the airfield!

ratki5

This incident occurred in 1964 when Auster Aiglet swung off the main runway for some reason while attempting to land. The pilot put on full power to go round again but finished up taking off over a ploughed field. The aircraft was unable to get properly airbourne due to the earth accumulating in the spats. Eventually the pilot cut the throttle and the aircraft went over on its back. Fortunately the pulot and passenger escaped unscathed and can be seen observing the recovery proceedings to the extreme ringht of the picture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information