Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiggold

Default Wiggold

Received this email recently, any thoughts?

Trying to find out about Wiggold Aerodrome marked on an OS map of 1919 OS map surveyed 1921 shows no sign of it.Wiggold is about three miles NW of Cirencester just to the east of the Fosseway, the A429.

No local has heard of it Was it ever used,was it ever built, is it a mistake and should have been at rendcombe I very much doubt that.The records office Gloucestershire in 1936-39 on planning issues re airfields Wiggold was mentioned and as there had previously been an airfield there planning permission could have been easier to obtain. Any help would be most welcome

Thanks in advance (PNK for the map!!!)

NJR

Default Re: Wiggold Airfield??

I haven't found anything that shows an airfield site. Presumably the 1919 map just says "Aerodrome"?
    There are a lot of relatively flat areas around there so it is possible.

The records Office presumably relates to this ....

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A...id=118-5#118-5

Have to admit in all my years living near Cirencester I never heard of it.

Looks like a possible non-starter.... a bit like one here (Torquay ) I have been chasing for a while - Torquay proposed an aerodrome (1935) at a place called "Drumbridges"(?) ...never came to anything...instead they opened an "airport" at Denbury that lasted all of 6 months!

Keen interest in Wiggold from a local. Airfield marked on OS, possible link to Australian Flying Corps before moving to Minchnhampton. Shown on estate maps as an airfield from 1930s on but not before. Local farm tractor driver harvested the field, known as the Airfield field. Local council applied for permission as a civil airfield c.1936 theory that permission would have been granted because of previous use as an airfield. Please can anyone help with further detail. Many thanks.

When I was helping John Rennison on his research for 'Wings Over Gloucestershire'way back in the early 80's,we pursued a rumour of an unfinished WW11 airfield at Calmesden to the East of Chedworth and West of the Fosseway.Never did find any trace however.Could this be linked to Wiggold?

In a similar vein were rumours of another airfield planned north of Macaroni wood(to the Northwest of Southrop RLG).

Finally,a farming friend of mine had a flat 100 acre field at Badgeworth 3 miles SSE of Staverton known locally as the aerodrome field since reputed use as a training field in WW1.This field is still clearly identified on Google Earth.

Anyone confirm any of the above?

Regarding Wiggold, I really could do with seeing the estate map with the landing strip marked to get some clear indication of location. The NMR have recorded what they believed to be a wartime camp or depot located just north of Wiggold House but I can't tell for sure how far it is in relation to the mystery airstrip.

A couple of theories spring to mind though - land requisitioned possible usable as flying but ultimately used for storage. Local knowledge of a pre-war landing strip in existence combined with military camp/depot becomes "military airfield" in the memory of locals when asked 40-50 years later.

Can't say I've ever heard of Calmsden or the Badgeworth site in relation to airfields but the Macaroni Downs I've heard of. I think I first read of it in David J. Smith's book.

Calmsden - technically that's south of Chedworth and to the immediate west of the village is the old WWI RFC field at Rendcombe. Again, locals referring to it as "the aerodrome at Calmsden" rather than as RFC Rendcombe as maybe many of them would of been too young at the time to know/remember it's real name?

Macaroni Down - there would of been room for an SLG there but it really was very close to Southrop and rumour was it was planned but de-requisitioned. This is interested because there is no record of it in the RAF airfield audit which lists all requisitioned land. It does list other planned airfields where land was requisitioned but not used but lists nothing for Macaroni Down.

Badgeworth - Not heard of that one but there is a very large field north of the HAA site that definitely seems to of been smaller fields and then had it's hedgerow grubbed up and walls demolished to make it larger. Certainly looks big enough to be used for landing aircraft. The 1950's aerials show a fairly large number of military buildings at the farm that have been demolished and a few more further down the lane tucked in against the hedgerows.

Again, for all of the above there is no record of them in the RAF land requisitions list.

There were however proposed landing grounds at Temple Guiting, Turkdean and Burford which are documented and I have found evidence of although it appears they were never used for serious flying and simply marked as scatter fields/ELGs.

Page 23,'Wings Over Gloucestershire'has a picture of the last remaining Nissen hut at Hunt Court(now demolished)part of the accomodation for the WW11 AA emplacement.There is also a picture of the 100 acre field and reference to a planned but not completed aerodrome.At the time,however,the farmer was adamant of its exsistence,as his grandfather had taken over the farm in the early 1920s.

With regard to Temple Guiting,many years ago there was a letter in the local paper from a gentleman in Birmingham looking to make contact with anyone who had served there as he had been an airframe fitter.He referred to the site as being at Trafalgar farm.

I must have a different edition to you as page 23 of my copy of Wings over Gloucestershire is the start of Chapter 2 and there are no photographs I have the revised 2000 edition.

Interesting about the field at Hunt Court. Through some parallel research I've come across a sort of common occurrence, at least with regard to some sites in Gloucestershire. It seems a lot of land was requisitions and cleared so that it could be used as a landing ground but never developed into a full-scale airfield. This seems to of happened around 1940 around the time of the Battle of Britain and the threat of invasion. My gut feeling is that these cleared fields were intended as "scatter fields" - somewhere for units to fall back to as unmarked/unknown landing grounds in the event that the home airfield was bombed or overrun. Tented accommodation and mobile fuel browsers and ammo trucks would pretty much all they would of needed to operate. Think the opening scenes of the Battle of Britain film.

A lot of these sites are shown on internal RAF reference (1"/mile) maps up to about 1942 where they are not named but simply marked "ELG". Same maps from about 1944 they are gone or you can physically see where they have been removed using whatever the wartime version of "tippex" was . However, it seems that although they had been removed from maps as landing grounds the land was still owned and being used by the military for various purposes.

Temple Guiting is a good example - you mention Trafalgar Farm and that's where i've suspected the landing ground was based of fragments of evidence I've put together. The NMR in it's aerial survey notes a lot of buildings, possibly a depot plus a recognisable searchlight battery at the farm. I've a record from August 1943 where the OIC of No.3 GTS at Stoke Orchard visits the "landing ground at Temple Guiting" and also the RAF airfield audit lists only 54 acres of land being requisitioned for it. Lastly a land usage map from 1944 shows all of the surrounding fields as being arable except for the one field, listed as being meadow - which happens to be 54 acres in size.

So it definitely existed although I can't find any record of it definitely being used for flying. At 54 acres, the slope of the land and the narrowness and limited approach direction I'd say it soon became unusable as anything other than a scatter field and just became a RAF depot or possible radar/radio site.

BTW - Is John Rennison still around? I've wanted to write to him for years as his book (along with Action Stations 6) was what inspired me to start seriously researching airfields in Gloucestershire 15 odd years ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information