Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Upper Heyford

Default Re: Upper Heyford, Battle Command Centre.

The Heritage Team were working late recently in the BCC, and had just finished sorting the wiring out for the exterior lights. First time they had worked since 1994, ran out side to see, if they worked, and was met by the sun going down, a quick few snaps!

A rare site, Heyford at night!

Looking good!

Most of the airfield was in darkness, when we turned the lights on, the BCC stood out a mile.

Sunset over the Nose docks. We were the only ones left on base, really weird and quiet!

Here are my photos from my Subbrit visit, sadly they aren't great as they were taken and the editing was all done on my iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4qGY...0&feature=plcp

Tried to avoid duplicating any images previously posted, small selection from various sites on the base

Good evening Gents

I recently found this forum whilst trying to do some research on Greenham Common. Fantastic forum and some great information on here. Decided to register

I visited Upper Heyford back in November last year for a tour here are a few of the photographs I took - hope they are of some interest

Victor Alert Area

Tower

Runway 09

Hush House

Command Centre

Map Room

Flight Rosta (recognise some names from this!)

I hope you find of some interest - I have more if they are of interest. I will attempt to post some of Greenham in the near future

In the meantime keep up the excellent work - great reading!

best regards

Hi Pave Flight.
    Great photos mate. Upper Heyford is a brilliant place. Thanks for posting them and please do post anymore you have. We can never have enough photos on here.

Cheers
    Steve

Cheers for the welcome Steve

A couple more from the couple of hundred I took that day. Very interesting day - only thing missing was the sound of the F-111s. Hope you enjoy!

20th TFW

Visitor Ramp Welcome Sign

SSA Entrance

The pale building in the centre of the shot is apparently where the cores for the special weapons were held. The windows are fake (painted on) to make the building resemble an office building

As well as having lights in the SSA there are several vertical poles dotted around the dead areas. These were to prevent any helicopters landing in the zones in an attempt to compromise the weapons

Engine Test Rig

ECP with TAB-V

20th CRS

Inside Victor Alert Area

All the best

Darren

Moderator and ARG Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Pave Flight View Post
    The pale building in the centre of the shot is apparently where the cores for the special weapons were held. The windows are fake (painted on) to make the building resemble an office building
    From what I remember they are even better than that - actual glazed Crittall windows fixed into the solid wall!

Would be interesting to know if this was done anywhere else - I don't recall seeing anything like it at Alconbury for instance?

Nice to see a bit of ife coming back to that building. Must have been spooky though if it was the only one lit externally at night?

Default Re: Upper Heyford

Found memories of UPH, every year Brize Radar used to visit ATC UPH for baseball/rounders and get thrashed and then trashed. The following year they visited us for Cricket and they got thrashed and then trashed.

Nothing like watching the night sky when a F111 dumped fuel and lit its afterburners, we used to get a few calls from the local population over that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pave Flight View Post
    Do check out page 113 of this document http://cryptocomb.org/Cold%20War%20I...%20Mission.pdf, I reckon it is one of the 'A Structures' described in it. What do others say?

BTW does anyone here have site plans and the building numbers for UH?

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information