Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newtownards - Air Raid Victims Memorial

Default Re: Young soldiers killed at newtownards

Hi ww2ni, That is good news, and not too far away now. Many thanks for the update and the interesting link, I love the then and now shots of Portrush town hall. Look forward to any photographs you can show of the dedication day and memorial. Regards Paul.

It is amazing how difficult it is to find any contact information for someone who had died.

It is only since I have been searching that I realise than once you are dead and buried then the papertrail appears to come to an end however I will keep trying and hope to have some ralatives present for the dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by ww2ni View Post
    Sorry I have not been on the forum for a while however I have good news.

There WILL be a Memorial Built to remember the 13 young soldiers killed in the German Air Raid on Newtownards Airfield in 1941.

The memorial will be in the Garden of Remembrance in Newtownards and will be dedicated on Monday 5th March 2012 which is Barossa Day.

If anyone has information regarding surviving relatives of any of those who were killed (Full details at http://www.ww2ni.webs.com) please let me know as Ards Council are currently preparing invites for this event.

Thanks
    My name is John (Jake) Ernest Booth. My mother was True Elizabeth McNeill whose brother, Ernest, was one of the young soldiers killed in the Newtownards air raid in 1941. I am named after my uncle.

I grew up in Dungannon and now live in Houston Texas. I found the article about the raid on the WW2 in NI website some time ago and the e-mail thread about plans for a memorial just yesterday. I am interested in finding out more about the memorial to the victims of the air raid and the dedication ceremony on March 5th.

Jake Booth

(Thanks for the response via e-mail - JEB)
    Last edited by Jake Booth; 01-03-2012 at 01:33. Reason: Removing personal information

memorial stone.jpghonour guard at memorial.jpg
    After two years we now have this memorial to the 13 soldiers who were killed in the German Air Raid on Newtownards.

I must thank everyone at AIX who assisted me with this.

Yesterday we had the unveiling and dedication complete with Honour Guard, Piper, Standard Bearer, Veterans and some relatives of those who lost their lives.

An Excellent Day.

A lovely looking memorial and a fitting tribute to the memory of those who were killed in the air raid.

Thanks - It made me very proud, and humble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information