Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kirkbride

Default Kirkbride

On July 26th this year the field is holding it's annual fly-in, and has arranged some displays by visiting aircraft.
    Confimed at the moment is the BBMF (Dakota, Spitfire & Hurricane) and hopefully a RN Seaking from HMS Gannet. Also more or less definite is a 3/4 scale replica Spitfire and at least one Jet Provost.
    Last year saw about 60-70 aircraft arrive from most parts of the country.

The event is a fund raiser for the Great North Air Ambulance (G-HEMS being based in Cumbria and will visit during the day)

All landing fees are donated to the charity and visitors by road are welcome
    There is no entrance fee but huge donations would be appreciated :P

http://kirkbrideairfield.website.orange.co.uk/
    Last edited by Carnaby; 30-05-2011 at 22:45.

Default Kirkbride Airfield

A former World War Two and post-war military airfield, now a civillian airfield. It opened in 1939 as part of 41 Maintenance Group and was the home of 12 Maintenance Unit and was also used by Number 16 Ferry Pilots Pool. It was used to repair and ferry numerous types of aircraft for the Royal Air Force. Post-war it was also used to store aircraft awaiting disposal. The airfield had hard surface runways, with 38 aircraft hangars (types C, D,E, L and Robin were used), and partly permanent accomodation for personnel. The base closed in 1960, since at least 1985 it has been used by private aircraft and hosts a flying club. The former officers mess survives as a hotel (White Heather Hotel), allegedly the main hangars are extant.
    -------------------------------------------

Kirkbride Airfield: Cumbria NY 229 548. It opened in 1939 The airfield had hard surface runways, with 38 aircraft hangars (types C, D,E, L and Robin were used), and partly permanent accomodation for personnel. The base closed in 1960.

Kirkbride was the home of 12 Maintenance Unit during World War Two. The airfield was used for repairing a large variety of aircraft for the RAF. In 1946 it was used to store aircraft awaiting dsiposal (an air photograph taken in that year is on the web site: it shows Tiger Moth and Lancaster aicraft stores on the airfield). The former officers mess survives as a hotel (White Heather Hotel).

The Air Transport Auxilliary's Number 16 Ferry Pilots Pool also used the airfield to ferry aircraft. Many of the pilots were women. today the airfield is used for civillian flying and is the home of Kirkbride Aero Club. Allegedly all the main military hangars are intact and in use for non-aviation purposes.
    --------------------------------------------------------

The First World War had little direct and immediate effect on the Lake Counties as they then were. They were far too remote, too removed from the scene of the action.
    In the Second World War, that very remoteness became an asset. The counties were beyond the range of enemy aircraft. They offered a safe haven where aircraft could be maintained and stored securely, well away from the depredations of enemy bombers and the bitter conflict in the violent theatres of war.
    As early as 1938, during the period known as the phoney war, two vast airfields, within seven miles of each other, were established at Kirkbride and Silloth.
    They were to play a significant role during the war, and, now, sixty years later, despite various attempts to re-invent themselves, they seem to be vast acreages inhabited by memories of that distant conflict.
    Work began on Kirkbride airfield in June, 1938, and the intention was that the airfield with its runways and array of vast hangars should be up and running by 1st May, 1939.
    On the day war broke out the airstrip was still far from ready to receive aircraft. In fact the first aircraft, four Avro tutors, eventually arrived, ignominiously, on the 5th September by rail and road from Ternhill in Shropshire.
    The first aircraft to actually ‘land’ at Kirkbride was Miles Magister N3927. That was two weeks later and the airfield was still a long way from being fully functional..
    As the weeks passed though, new aircraft, Fairey Battles, Avro Ansons, Hawker Audaxes and others began to descend from the skies like swarms of flies, all preparing to wait at this vast dormitory until called into urgent action.
    The airfield was not quite the tranquil haven that had been expected. On 2nd November a signal was received warning of possible attacks by enemy parachute troops and Lewis guns were rapidly ushered out of the stores and prepared for action.
    A far more insidious enemy was the weather. In the early hours of the 21st November, 1939, a 100 mph gale, wrecked five aircraft, including three Bothas.
    As more aircraft required temporary residence, it became increasingly necessary to find dispersed storage. Satellite landing grounds were established at Wath Head and Brayton.
    In July 1941 the airfield was able to receive the massive, cumbrous Halifax bombers..
    In November, 1941, after Pearl Harbour and the American entry into the war, the first American planes started to arrive. They were Bell Airocobras, aircraft unsuited to the requirements of the European theatre of war and ones which the experienced English pilots found difficult to handle. One Airocobra, piloted by Capt. W.L. Hanley, crashed at Fingland, only two miles away from the airfield.
    An airfield at Silloth was developed on a similarly massive scale. Together both airfields and their satellite landing grounds which stretched from Great Orton to Hutton in the Forest – the trees were used as camouflage for the expectant planes - served as home to thousands of the aircraft which were vital to the eventual victory.
    Martyn Chorlton’s account of the airfields is a meticulous, detailed account of the incredible, but essential, mushrooming of these vast airfields and of the movement of aircraft and personnel. It is a book full of detail drawn from the minutiae of the official records. It is the perfect book for the enthusiast, but it fails to enlarge on the effects such rapid change had on the life of the area.
    However, it is consoling to know, that because of its very remoteness, Cumbria was able to play a crucial role in the war effort.

Kirkbride 1946
    Last edited by Drakie; 03-04-2010 at 15:42.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Kirkbride Airfield

A far more insidious enemy was the weather. In the early hours of the 21st November, 1939, a 100 mph gale, wrecked five aircraft, including three Bothas.

What were the Bothas doing there?

The much loved Bothas were probably flown there once the weather forecast was received

Also realised I had a 1941/2 shot of the airfield.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Kirk; 04-04-2010 at 11:03.

I wandered round Kirkbride for a few hours today & spotted this near 2 E type hangars to the west of the airfield.....I assume it was on a mound originally....

The brick wall inside supports the roof but doesn't look original, I'd say?

I was very happily surprised to see that this building's in a much better state than the one at Silloth. I suspect this is due to the more loney location of the airfield. I was told the (new) owner is going smarten it up & other buildings he's bought there. Fingers crossed...

The control tower is owned by the company making the M24 Orion Gyroplane.

I was also shown around a Type Lhangar by a nice farmer, who told me the light fittings & bulbs are original & still working - he even switched one on & blow me down it worked.!
    Last edited by Gypsymoth; 05-05-2011 at 12:22.

I bet modern bulbs won't last as long as this in an L hangar on a farm at Kirkbride. I was told the fans are still working, too.

That looks like a Mercury Vapour lamp so there would be a fairly large ballast unit on a stanchion nearby but, whether the lamp is original.....

Not an original then? The farmer said the bulbs were there when his grandfather bought the land for £3000 after the war..........I saw at least 6 others hanging around there.

I'm not saying that the MV lighting was not original just that the actual lamp may be a replacement since nothing lasts forever.

Did you notice whether the actual fitting - i.e shade and all - was attached to a cable and pulley system which would allow it to be lowered for maintenance. Many of the permanent type hangars had a stanchion mounted 'windlass' for each major lamp fitting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information