Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woolston / Birchwood

Default Re: Is/Was This an Airfield ?

More info has emerged on Airstripslist UK - the strip is known as Birchwood/Woolston or Woolston -Moss- operated by a local man who keeps his 3 aircraft there....apparently since around 2006.
    Last edited by Daveg4otu; 12-04-2010 at 08:21.

Thanks for all the replies and the info. S67.

tigger

I've never seen any aircraft actually using it but it is a recent landing strip

Extract from Birchwood local council minutes a couple of years ago:

(c) Land at Martinscroft Moss, Rixton-with-Glazebrook – Proposed use of land as a private airstrip for light, fixed wing aircraft

The Clerk reported than we had received information regarding a formal appeal (Appeal Ref: APP/MO655/A/08/2071760/NWF) for the above application and
    Members have the opportunity to make additional comments should they wish to.
    The Clerk spoke to Michael Davies at the Borough Council who confirmed that all our previous objections will be passed on to The Planning Inspectorate.

Councillor Fitzsimmons said that although the applicant had stated in his application that the airstrip would only be used for private use, at a Development Control Meeting concern had been raised that a ‘flying school’ might be run from the airstrip should approval be granted.

After deliberation, Members agreed we had already made all the relevant comments we could in our previous correspondence, which will be sent on to the Planning Inspectorate as a matter of course.

Default Re: Woolston / Birchwood

This is a light aircraft landing patch that a farmer got planning permission for about 2 years ago as he flies light aircraft himself, but before he had planning permission he got caught out flying from his land and was fined, so he decided to get planning permission and was granted with up to 300 landings per year. There are 2 strips on the field, I think hes using the small strip where his hanger is. I was also looking at this 2 years and dug up info on it but been looking today to see how far the farmer has got with the airfield

tigger

If he actually makes use of his 300 slots I'd love to know when. I've still never seen an aircraft use it and I drive past most days as well as walking my dogs within spiting distance of it.

I've never seen anything at all and I used to live near Birchwood mall which is next to the airfield, he could only fly twice a year from there though.

tigger

Definitely in use: Two aircraft landed and a third outside the hangar when a local friend and his family were over there.

Can also confirm that it is definitely in use, I live at Birchwood and have seen various light aircraft landing here on Sunday mornings when I've been watching my lad playing football at nearby Forest Park.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information