Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RAF High Street, Suffolk

Default RAF High Street, Suffolk

RAF High Street is located to the north of Darsham on the A144. There is two parts of the site and I was allowed to photograph the site adjacent to the A144, I don't know if it was the Receiver or the Transmitter site. Could anyone help with further info as google brings up very little.

The bit circled in red is where the photos are taken. The bit in green is used for storing fireworks and is a secure site with no access.

And a few photos;

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

6 -

7 -

8 -

9 -

Default Re: RAF High Street, Suffolk

The northern site was the transmitter array with four towers in line, transmitting on a bearing of about 100.
    The southern site was the receiver array with it's four towers arranged in a rough square around the bunker.

Both sites had their own Buried Reserve bunker and tower, which were situated in the fields to the east, adjacent to each array. Both reserves seem to be extant in the current GE images, hidden in small clumps of trees.

Both buried reserve sites seem to have had their towers removed by the time of the 1940s-50s photo above, the four footings for the Tx Reserve tower are clearly visible though.

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by P Bellamy; 25-04-2010 at 15:01.

According to Dobinson, High Street had a Mobile Reserve Unit here (423716), called Hinton, although the name refers to an area a mile or so to the north-east.

Graham
    Last edited by Carnaby; 21-04-2010 at 14:13.

Thanks guys, I'll check out the buried reserve bunkers next time I'm over there. I will also look at Hinton but it doesn't look like there is much left there now.

the Rx buried reserve was flooded when i checked it out 2 years ago

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default HIGH STREET - Chain Home Station

This site is currently used for 'firework storage'

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=17&oz=7&gt=1

This is what it looked like in Dec 1945

Thanks to Google Earth 1945 rollback!

Default Re: HIGH STREET - Chain Home Station

If I am correct the Gate House is still in good conditiona and still used. I was shown this by Gordon Kinsey a while back.

My father (Albert Dumouchelle) served at the Darshan RAF Radar Station as a member of the RCAF from 1943-1945 . I am doing some research on his service activities and would love some more information concerning the base.

All the pictures are visible and are a great addition to the ones I have already collected.

If I may asked another question, does anyone know where I can get information on the activities at Darsham from 1943 to 1945 when my father served at the site? Personnel listings, site commander, activity logs etc. etc.

Any leads would be of interest.
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 08-11-2012 at 08:45.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdumo View Post
    My father (Albert Dumouchelle) served at the Darshan RAF Radar Station as a member of the RCAF from 1943-1945 . I am doing some research on his service activities and would love some more information concerning the base.

All the pictures are visible and are a great addition to the ones I have already collected.

If I may asked another question, does anyone know where I can get information on the activities at Darsham from 1943 to 1945 when my father served at the site? Personnel listings, site commander, activity logs etc. etc.

Any leads would be of interest.
    Hi there Jim,
    I am currently putting together a website covering the ROTOR project, which included as part of ROTOR 1 the re-activation of 15 of the Chain Home sites from World War II. RAF High Street was one of these Stations and was listed as No. 430 Signals Unit in the 1950s.If you paste the following link http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...ID=5033690&j=1 into browser it will take you to the record in the National Archivescalled AIR 29/1955 which is the Operational records Book for 430 Signals Unit. For earlier records pertaining to the unit during World War II, you could conduct a search on the National Archives Webiste for Darsham, ticking the box for Armed Services, which would return all the records associated with this unit. Hope this helps and happy Hunting.

Regards Kev Lloyd-Jones
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 08-11-2012 at 08:45.

Hi all , Visited these sites on sunday and was told of a tunnel connected the two sites , anyone know of this or know of such tunnels at these sites ??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information