Thread: Ravenscar - Bent Rigg Farm CD/CHL

Default Ravenscar - Bent Rigg Farm CD/CHL

Some photos from David Thompson

More to follow
    Last edited by Carnaby; 17-05-2010 at 10:06. Reason: Last pic added

Default Re: Ravenscar - Bent Rigg Farm CD/CHL

The rest:

Don't even think about describing photo 2 as a Nissen hut but hey! I know nuffing about RDF!

It's great to see these photos. For me, the interpretation panels are of particular interest because I hadn't seen these before and didn't know they were there. It's a shame that whoever wrote them for the National Trust didn't quite understand what he was writing about. The CD/CHL chain was built in 1941-42, not 1940. This may seem like semantics, but it's actually quite a big difference as far as the course of the war. The drawing shows a Type 52 centimetric radar which is much later than the CD/CHL and certainly not "the first radar transmitting equipment" on the site. Most disappointingly, although it sort of alludes to the fact that the primary function of these sites was to plot shipping for coast defence batteries, this isn't made explicit as it should be. The reader is left unclear as to exactly what the role of the site was, which is a shame.

Having said all the above, it's great that there is a panel at all, and the National Trust seem to be very good at preserving and trying to interpret these sites. It's just a shame they didn't quite get it right.

Cheers,

Ian
    Last edited by RadarArchive; 28-05-2010 at 22:51. Reason: typo

Thread Information