Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dundee

Default Dundee

Dundee / HMS Condor II

A few pictures of RNAS Dundee / HMS Condor II
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 02-11-2012 at 11:41.

Default Re: Dundee / HMS Condor II

None of this survives sadly. Dundee was a seaplane base. Just over the water we had a Squadron from Norway flying Catalinas .There is a memorial stone for them there.

Gents, that area was known locally as Stannergate, the waterfront was shared with 2nd & 9th submarine flotillas, The 9th was made up of Free French, Dutch, Norwegian and Polish crews; plus some Russians in 1944. The 9th mainly undertook clandestine operations as did the Catalinas of 1477 Flt later 333Sqn R Norwegian AF that were based south of the river Tay and about 1 mile west of the Dundee Harbour area at Woodhaven.
    There are some excellent aerial photos of all the Dundee waterfront in WW2 including the Stannergate hangers, balloon barrage, submarine, ships under construction and repair, but a little patience is needed . The other half of 333sqn was based at Leuchars operating Mosquitos. There is a Sqn memorial just inside Leuchars main gate and an annual service is held there. When I get time to commence my Leuchars thread I will get a photo and also post it to the memorials. Just do a search using Dundee: some great shots

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/sear...&submit=search
    TED

For a look at this base in 1947 go to Aerial.rcahms.gov.uk This is a new service just launched by this site containing thousands of pictures done by the RAF for an aerial survey of the UK from 1946 onwards. If you zoom in you can see the flying boat base with its slipway into the Tay.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoon View Post
    For a look at this base in 1947 go to Aerial.rcahms.gov.uk This is a new service just launched by this site containing thousands of pictures done by the RAF for an aerial survey of the UK from 1946 onwards. If you zoom in you can see the flying boat base with its slipway into the Tay.

Terry
    Terry thanks for that that provides more excellent shots to compliment those dated 1943 thanks for letting us know I can see me getting another snottagram from BT re overuse of my download facility

TED

Could anyone tell me when the last hangar at Stannergate was knocked down please?? Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by moley67 View Post
    Could anyone tell me when the last hangar at Stannergate was knocked down please?? Thank You
    As I recall they bit the dust around 1985/86

Default Dundee Airport

Hello,

Lafarge recently completed resurfacing Dundee Airport. Attached is a case study that may be of interest.

I do have a few photographs, where is best to upload them on here?

Thanks
    Daniel

Case Study - Dundee Airport, 2011.pdf

Default Re: Dundee Airport

Daniel, would you be prepared to put something together for Airfield Review? Doesn't have to be much, just whats been done and how, with some photos?

Cheers

Richard

Default Re: Dundee Airport

Hello,
    Yes I'd be delighted.
    I will probably use the case study as the base, with the option of including more technical information.
    Please send me a private message with email address, so that I can send some pictures over.
    Thanks
    Daniel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information