Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Old Buckenham

Default Re: RAF Airfiled "Old Buckenham" Station #144 - Remembrance Day 2012

Here is some background to stevie's post above which I have pinched off another aviation forum ;

Over 180 wartime images relating to the 453rd at Old Buckenham have now been
    amassed and are recorded here on the Oldbuckshots Flikr site
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldbuck...7632031006191/

This year sees the 70th Anniversary of the formation of the 453rd and a great
    deal of effort is being made to collate as much information and data as possible.

I now have in my possession I further 150+ WWII images that I believe have not
    been published before. I have just uploaded a further 30 onto the above link

Can I have help please in establishing the correct / full id & Types please and
    units for

#B24 RAF Colours – two images http://flic.kr/p/e162c8 - did this have an RAF
    serial – displays 240380 on tail + large dull code on fuselage ?

#Maruader Douglas Marauder 286294 http://flic.kr/p/e163e8

#P51 N2 Q http://flic.kr/p/e1bLko

UC64A - Norseman “Draggin Lady” http://flic.kr/p/e1swJL

All the best

Keith
    keithsowterATmulbarton71.freeserve.co.uk
    (replacing AT with @)

This years airshow will be on 22nd-23rd June

Some details here

A good opportunity for a look around

My father landed here in his Halifax III on their return from Cleve (Kleve?) on the night of October 7th 1944
    They returned to Leconfield the next day

kevin

Another batch of Old Buck photos have been made available to complement those in Posts #29 and 31 ;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldbuck...7632031006191/
    Last edited by David Thompson; 13-03-2013 at 17:11. Reason: Post numbers corrected

Default Re: Old Buckenham

Richard has asked me to share some of the images I have scanned for OLDBuCKSHOTS ( now over 330 images in the wartime section http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldbuck...7632031006191/ ) onto AIX - so here goes !
    Visiting P51 from East Wretham, B17 from Snetterton

Handley PAge Halifax MZ559 - was bomber from above and diverted back to OB

453rd Kitchen Staff

Horsa Glider - dropped out of overflying formation ( later twoed out by a Stirling)

Martin Marauder

Nice view on top of wing showing the uphill slope on RW07

Ground works

Hope these are of interest - they give a very small glimpse as to the collection that has recently been amassed. I am currently pulling together a list of all the aircaft that were based with the 453rd - now over 220 different aircraft - I hope to put a display / presentation together for the AIrfield cafe later in the year

Brilliant photos Biggles, interesting to see such a varied selection of aircraft there. Thanks

A few more
    North American P-51B-5 Mustang 43-6779 coded J2-Y - visiting from Wattisham

Taxying for departure

Liberty Run - being towed from the Hangar

732BS Briefing

"Golden Gaboon" - crashes on landing

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: RAF Airfiled "Old Buckenham" Station #144

Great photographs; thanks biggles1049.

Superb photes biggles i love old wartime pics . Thanks for posting .
    Bomber .

Some news, today, from the Diss Mercury:

A south Norfolk airfield has been sold to a local aviation enthusiast.
    Old Buckenham airfield was yesterday sold to aviation enthusiast Geoffrey Lynch OBE, who lives in Suffolk.

The deal, brokered by the airfield manager, Matt Wilkins, will continue to see the airfield run by Touchdown Aero Centre Ltd, which holds a CAA Aerodrome Licence.

Events such as the Old Buckenham Airshow and Military Revival will benefit from the news, with planning already started on Airshow 2014 following June’s event.

Mr Lynch said: “I am a great admirer of all of the fantastic work that Matt Wilkins has done in order to turn around the fortunes of Old Buckenham and look forward to maintaining its reputation as the finest airfield in East Anglia.”

The airfield was owned by a property investment firm for the past two and a half years but was managed by Mr Wilkins.

He said: “I am delighted to be able to announce this deal, which will give Old Buckenham long-term stability and a guaranteed future, ensuring that the last two years of work in keeping the airfield running after a period of difficulty have been ultimately successful.

“Under Geoffrey’s ownership the ambitious plans to improve the airfield in myriad ways can now be put into action.

“The airfield is in great fiscal shape. Our hangars are at full occupancy – we have 25 based here.

“We have also got a few dozen companies based at the airfield, too.

“The place has been revitalised, it is what I have been working on for the past couple of years. I have been running it on behalf of a large property portfolio.”

The former RAF base was built in 1942 for the United States Army Air Forces."

Moving sideways a bit, if anyone is doing any historic research into this airfield on the Internet, they should bear in mind that some Americans call it "Old Buckingham" -- for example the EAA Museum at Oshkosh.

Moving sideways a bit, if anyone is doing any historic research into this airfield on the Internet, they should bear in mind that some Americans call it "Old Buckingham" -- for example the EAA Museum at Oshkosh.
    We don't know no better.

T

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information