Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snitterfield

Default Snitterfield

Heres a collection of pics i took up at the old Snitterfield airfield near to Stratford Upon Avon.
    The airfield doesn't have a huge story to tell history-wise and was used mainly as a satellite for Church Lawford with Oxfords from 18 PAFU and 1533 Flt also flight training with Harvards from 21 FTS.

Today it's still very much active with the Stratford Gliding Club using a section of the airfield. Many thanks to them for there freindliness and allowing me to wander around the peri's and runway remains.

The club house,modern hangars and other buildings are all standing on what was the head of one of the intersecting runways -

End of the other intersecting runway. It is reduced to a single lane further up

A couple from the technical site -

Transformer building -

I'm not sure who is responsible for this sign as it leads into private land with CCTV/No tresspassers notices everywhere. Perhaps the original airfield enterance?? Although both the gate and sign don't seem to be in the right place on the airfields perimeter.

The gliding club in action over on the far side -

A nice place to have a look around although from what i can work out there isn't much still standing or surviving. A lot of building foundations around the place, a few M/E plinths and i was told that the bomb dumps are still intact. I didn't have time for a proper look in there.

Cheers,
    Steve

Default Re: Snitterfield

Great Pics Steve.....glad too see it does open!

Quote Originally Posted by WiganMick59 View Post
    Great Pics Steve.....glad too see it does open!
    YEP!! Fourth time lucky. The gates to the flying club are open daily through the summer months NOT the rest of the year. Found that out the hard way !!!!

There is a cottage named Airfield Farm on the one of the roads around the site,maybe they are the owners?.

Great photos Steve, good to see another airfield that hasn't been previously coved too.

Thanks Rich.
    My mission to post up the lesser known sites on AiX continues

Quote Originally Posted by worcester aviation View Post
    There is a cottage named Airfield Farm on the one of the roads around the site,maybe they are the owners?.
    Thanks Worcester Aviation,
    I did find Airfield Farm but it's right on the other side of the airfield in the old technical site quite a big distance away from the RAF Snitterfield sign and enterance.

Cheers,
    Steve

Snitterfield was the home of 1533 Beam Approach Training Flight c.1944. Its SBA Main Beacon plinth is extant.

Guy wire blocks

This is very rare! It's located HERE, also in BING

To the south of the plinth are some skeet ranges belonging to the Stratford Armouries which are located to the south of the airfield. Worth a visit, though their web site is down at present.

Projector AA 90 C/M Mk.6

QF 40mm Mk.lll

Graham
    Last edited by Carnaby; 03-06-2010 at 00:00.

Bugger!! Looks like i turned back before reaching these lil' beauties. Great pics Graham.
    That sign for 'RAF Snitterfield' is the next enterance after the Armouries Museum enterance actually. Just a bit further down the road. I wonder if it's museum related??? Either way it doesnt look like un-invited guests are welcome.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevie; 03-06-2010 at 00:11.

Yes it is museum related Steve as there are buildings around the museum land labelled in a similar way I'll post a couple up later, I went for one of my battle re-enactment weekends this weekend and found myself camping next to the peritrack.

Quote Originally Posted by buccaneer66 View Post
    Yes it is museum related Steve as there are buildings around the museum land labelled in a similar way I'll post a couple up later, I went for one of my battle re-enactment weekends this weekend and found myself camping next to the peritrack.
    Aha!! Cheers Chris.
    What a great place to set up camp .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information