Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Ruislip

Default West Ruislip

A few pictures of RAF West Ruislip

What was RAF West Ruislip used for ?

No.4 Stores Depot in WW1

And destroying such a nice and interesting WWI depot hangar... ? Jesus, incredible !

You have a unique collection of WWI & WWII military sites seen we were occupied...
    But a couple of years ago, we demolished unique and very preserved Luftwaffe buildings on a Belgian Air Force airfield (Brustem Air Base).
    They were the best preserved ones... all gone and now the site is converted to an industrial aera.... money, money, money !

The last pic, the building is extant along with the guardroom to the domestic site. This pic is of a barrack hut.

Default Re: RAF West Ruislip

Can any one shed any light on No'4 MU working on RDF pre D-Day from West Ruislip.

I'm also keen to locate the OSS training facility at Ruislip, could it of been in the West Ruislip complex?

Default Re: West Ruislip

I've come across a reference to '64 MU at Ruislip' in WW2, could anyone confirm or otherwise if this site would have been the one? Anything about 64 MU in '42 would be helpful.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

This is probably a reference to the 64 MSU (Maintenance Sub-Unit) Air Ammunition Park (AAP) located at Brackenbury Farm, Ickenham opening in November 1941. Small, with a recorded storage capacity of only 500 tons (NEC - Nett Explosive Content) but that seems to me to be very low so maybe an error.

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...one&rgrat=None

Additional sites recorded as:

Newdigate (MSU)

Black-Park (sub-site)

Worley (not positively located.

Also Hatfield (Woodside PLace?)

Carnaby should have more.....

Quote Originally Posted by redmist View Post
    I've come across a reference to '64 MU at Ruislip' in WW2, could anyone confirm or otherwise if this site would have been the one? Anything about 64 MU in '42 would be helpful.
    No - 64MU was an ammunition storage unit and in common with Air MInistry practice was located away from general stores. It was sited near
    Brackenbury Farm, Ickenham, a mile west of 4MU. I have very little information on this unit.

It had a number of sub-sites, e.g. post #5

EDIT: Despite the above statament I've just looked at the report Paul Francis did on 4MU and I note that in June 1941 the latter held 4.4M rounds of .303 ball, 1.8M rounds of armour piercing, 1.3M rounds of incendiary etc...
    Last edited by Carnaby; 30-05-2014 at 13:38. Reason: Last sentence added

Default Re: RAF West Ruislip

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Can any one shed any light on No'4 MU working on RDF pre D-Day from West Ruislip.

I'm also keen to locate the OSS training facility at Ruislip, could it of been in the West Ruislip complex?
    A facility near by used for training of OSS operatives in the 1940ís may have been Latimer House that was close to the village Chenies on SIM (Surveillance, Interrogation & Monitoring) Techniques.

This would have been a 30 minute drive in a north west direction from RAF West Ruislip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information