Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oakley

Default Oakley

After looking for another location by the side of the M40 on another thread I remembered passing this place quite a lot. Seems quite an intact runway and perimeter track layout at this airfield. Has anyone visited or have photos? It was the site of the first ejector seat trials by Martin-Baker in 1945 apparently.
    http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.78....3&r=0&src=msl

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Oakley

The Bomb Stores were located in this wood, still remains to be seen and easily accessible since its on Forestry Commision land:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.79....1&r=0&src=msl

Quite a good view of it from the top of Brill Hill, I was there on Sunday last. I think I've seen a Notam today for a Microlight rally there some time soon.

only the eastern extension of the east / west runway, and nearly all the hardstandings are missing from the wartime layout. peri track remains full width around site, passing a b1hangar and what appears to be an mt ramp next to it.the tower is long gone but the nfe store survives, as do several huts now used for industry on the tech site, as is a modified t2. the runways are "rough", though a section at the intersection of the main and a subsidiary, are maintained and kept clear for microlights. the m40 has now cut the site off from the bomb dump, but much remained, along with the firing butts, when i last visited. little appears to remain on other dipersed sites, mainly shelters, though i havent covered those fully. i do seem to remember a turret trainer building near to one of the few remaining dispersals by the tech site though.

Thanks stevfire2,
    It has always seemed to me that the airfields of Bucks, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire have tended to be a little more intact than those of East Anglia.
    Look forward to any images you might have of Oakley.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

This site has a report on the bomb store:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main...ead.php?t=3876

Quote Originally Posted by EGDGZTCW View Post
    Quite a good view of it from the top of Brill Hill, I was there on Sunday last. I think I've seen a Notam today for a Microlight rally there some time soon.
    From the top of Brill hill it's quite a good view everywhere locally, also a very good place to transmit from as does my brother and his friends August Bank holiday week and Christmas. www. brilloldies.com,. Seems strange to see everyone referring to Oakley airfield whereas to most local people it's always been Worminghall airfield. As kids we used to cycle over there and run around the old Pilboxes, race along the runway and search around the old buildings. During the '70s British Leyland used to store thousands of new cars along the runway. My dad as a Senior Foreman was in charge of a water test upon new cars in the hangar that still stands there just outside Oakley village. I've ridden mopeds, motorbikes and driven cars up and down the runway all before being allowed to on the road. But for some reason have never taken any photographs. The Industrial Estate on part of the airfield is called, Wornal Park. Google this to see some of the huts in use today.
    Last edited by airfields man; 06-06-2010 at 10:49.

.....ah, Worminghall..... I didn't know that, I did wonder.

Default Oakley / Worminghall

RAF Oakley / Worminghall / Worm'ole / Wornal airfield.

Default Re: Worminghall, Worm'ole Wornal airfield.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information