Bushy Park (SHAEF)
Not entirely aviation related, but a major place regarding (operation Overlord) amongst others
All these memorials are in good condition still, though the SHAEF GATE plaque has faded since Ian took his photographs over three years ago. The house seen through the tree's near the end seemed to me to be the only one close-by to have over-looked all the wartime activities.
The last photograph shows the true distance between the USAAF and Eisenhower memorials. The flagpole in the centre.
Bushy Park has greater aviation connections than Ianbache perhaps realised.
Camp Griffiss on the north side of Bushy Park to the east of Chestnut Avenue was built in 1942 and occupied by HQ Eighth Airforce (Widewing). On 1 March 1944, Eighth Air Force was redesignated as United States Strategic Air Forces in Europe (USSTAF). (At the same time, VIII Bomber Command at High Wycombe was redesignated as Eighth Air Force). HQ SHAEF moved in over the weekend of 4-5 March 1944 to share Camp Griffiss with USSTAF.
There is a site plan of Camp Griffiss on pages 24 & 25 of Volume 1 of "D-Day Then and Now".
In 1948 HQ 3rd Air Division, USAFE shared the site with HQ Transport Command, RAF.
The story that Bushy Park was confused with Bushey Hall when the decision was taken to re-locate HQ SHAEF from central London is repeated "D-Day Then and Now". A confusion that continues to the present day.
There was an airstrip in the southeast corner of Bushy Park just to the north of and running parallell to Nightingale Road. An aerial photograph on page 29 of Volume 1 of "D-Day Then and Now" shows the airstrip on 7 August 1944. There is little trace of the airstrip on the 1945 Global Earth imagery.
Bushy Park, therefore, qualifies (just) as an airfield if only for about two or three years.
The airstrip would account for Bushy Park being allocated the pre-ICAO code MAYB in 1946. This would suggest the airstrip was still in use at that time.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)