Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: St Vincents, Grantham - 5 Group HQ

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: St Vincents, Grantham - 5 Group HQ

Thanks, that's encouraging. Are the current owners amenable to having JCB 'digs'

Oh yes! Thank goodness - a 'big yellow trowel' is going to be doing the hard work instead of us! There is so much ground to get through that we have decided the only way forward is to bring in the digger. And soon

About 2-3 years ago, my eldest sister and here husband found what looked like a well. they un-screwed the top and there was a ladder. they went in and there were loads of cold war papers, signal machines etc. down there. i only heard about this last night in a conversation about abandoned buildings and bunkers etc. this was in the field next to the TA army barracks. i hope this helps and keep me posted

If you need a spare trowel let me know, its not a big one though.

Quote Originally Posted by bunkerboy View Post
    i only heard about this last night in a conversation about abandoned buildings and bunkers etc. this was in the field next to the TA army barracks.
    It may be a red herring but also just could make a lot of sense as the TA Barracks is the former RAF Spitalgate / Spittlegate.
    Last edited by parakeetmedic; 05-01-2013 at 19:31.

Moderator and ARG Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by bunkerboy View Post
    About 2-3 years ago, my eldest sister and here husband found what looked like a well. they un-screwed the top and there was a ladder. they went in and there were loads of cold war papers, signal machines etc. down there. i only heard about this last night in a conversation about abandoned buildings and bunkers etc. this was in the field next to the TA army barracks. i hope this helps and keep me posted
    Sounds more like an ROC post than anything else. It's in the wrong place for the Grantham one though.

Nearest ROC post to Grantham is at SK90193299, on the edge of what was once RAF Harlaxton.

These were taken yesterday immediately before Jim Shorlands talk on "the Life of Guy Gibson"

NOTE This is private property and a family home - NO PUBLIC ACCESS

P1120638 (1024x757).jpg

P1120639 (1024x768).jpg

P1120640 (1024x786).jpg

kevin

Kevin

Great images - thanks for sharing! I was offered a ticket to this event but was not able to finish work early enough to attend it. It remains on my "wish list"

Re image 2 (the tennis courts) are these on the site of the elusive Ops bunker - assuming it has been filled in /removed or not (or not?)

I have been re-reading James Holland's Dambuster's and it stated that a passageway connected the house to the underground Ops Block. I am aware that the location of the actual bunker is a subject topic in its own right . . .

Kind Regards

Tony

I am not a fan of the idea that every one of these sites will reveal a "Secret Underground Bunker"

To quote a lead archaeologist from the Grantham Archaeology Group
    We ‘re finding that a lot that has been written on St Vincent’s turns out to have errors in it so what my wife, Angie, has done is compile the historical research for St Vincent’s right back to the original documentation - that way you are getting it right from the word go. I think Graham Jeal (the owner of St Vincent’s) is very pleased with what we’ve done up there. Luckily he’s a nice chap because we said ‘we want to dig your garden up with a JCB’ and he’s said ‘yeah, no problem’. Not everyone would let us do that, although I wish they would.
    I did speak to Mr Jeal and Jim Shorland on this subject after the talk

I recall that a TV program/article said that the grassed area to the north of the house contained what was thought to be air raid shelters in the form of slit trenches, very much in the style of a world war one trench system, and there were some air raid shelters where the tennis courts now are apparantly. This was confirmed by them.

There was a photo in one of the rooms which I was unable to photograph which showed the front of the house with a wooden corridor to a bunker type building to the right of the tower and it was said that this was where the security check point probably was. This lean to covered the current window in the front porch to the right of the entrance and the window in what is now the Guy Gibson Room between that and the tower

You can see this picture and some of the interior in the video report posted on the BBC web site here

BBC News - The Lincolnshire hub of the Dambusters' operation http://bbc.in/1hnO2Zr

For completeness this is the Listing for St Vincents House which includes a plan of the area
    http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/...px?uid=1261503

and this is a planning document submitted to the local council for use of the house for weddings, though it does not appear that this is happening. However it does include a plan of the ground and the house ground floor ( although the names of the rooms will bear no relation to the original use)
    http://forms.southkesteven.gov.uk/Pl...20Document.pdf

Kevin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information