Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milfield

Default Re: Raf milfield

Just a little story to tell.

Behind the Eagle Orbs there was a gravel drive which ended in a long admin stroke HQ building.

When we were at a caravan rally (described in my earlyer post) we used to hold a social gathering in the building on a Sat night. On one such occasion we had to prep the building in the early morning for the night ahead. However on the first year approx 1986/87 were unable to get in as the lock had frozen/seased on the outside since the building had been last used.
    Being the smallest kid ,and with the promoise of a present, I was hoisted up through a broken top window on a dark cold Novemver morning and instructed to unlock/open the door from the inside, needles to say I was not happy and a bituneasy about walking through a cold very dark old building.
    We managed to get the door open and had a scout round and in all the other buildings ( and an area called the Nook) as my dad needed to mark out areas for people to pitch their caravans. Over a few hours we found loads of inscriptions, names and innitials which we took to be from service men and women during its operational life.

The vast majority of the buildings at this time were used as storage by the landowner/farmer but he was still more than happy to open up the buildings in the are called the Nook which were still intact.

Great times
    Last edited by North by sea; 17-10-2011 at 15:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz77 View Post
    Millfield is near to where my folks live; for the record, last time I was there I took a drive around the perimeter and there are are scant remains

Think there is a fairly intact firing butt in a field, along with most of the tarmac from the east side of the runway, plus a Nissen hut in someone's back garden

Perhaps the "money shot" however is the stone eagle perched atop a globe supposedly carved by an Italian POW. This is on private land now, so I intend to politely ask the owner if I can shoot it nxt time I'm there

When I was a kid (early/mid 80's) we used to go up to Milfield every year to run a caravan rally for the northumberland center of the caravan club. My dad was a huge nut on all things connected to aviation, which was eagerly transferred to myslef, and he always jumped at the chance to attend the Milfield Rally.
    To this end I have a large stack (20/40) of good quality photos of Milfield and the majority of the buildings and hard standing areas bfore they were demolished. Included in these are a few photos of the Eagle orbs complete with inscription.

If you are interrested I would be more than happy to dig some of these out and post on here or produce some coppies and send them to you. They were taken with a good quality camera ( Pentax slr with a veriety of lenses) and are fond memories of time spent with my dad before he passed on.

My memories of the area are still relitivly good so I am able to discribe the general layout of the time.

North by Sea, we would very much like to see the photos you took. If you are not aware of their original purpose of the buildings no doubt someone will fill in the gaps. I found the easiest way is to upload the lot onto a photo sharing site (I used Photbucket) and post a link to the relevant album, assuming you want them to be shared by all, and then post a few on the forum.

millfield.jpg

Millfield Orb

Does anyone remember a program on the TV called the Bomb hunters, all about the recovery of kit fro the nearby ranges. In the program I recall a sequence showing the buildings on site just before they were removed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information