Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quedgeley

Default Quedgeley

Quedgeley - 7 MU, UED/AED

A few pictures of RAF Quedgeley
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 02-06-2012 at 12:29.

Default Old RAF Quedgeley site off the A38

I took these photos over the Easter weekend 2006 when passing by. The camera was a low performing thing that I kept in the car. The site has now been transformed into a major distrubution warehouse type complex. Sorry for the quality on some, but a couple of days later most of the buildings had gone. Photos mainly of Guardroom.

Hope these come out without other photobucket stuff that I'm messing about with. !! I have previewed it before posting. Honest. The photos were taken by the Y forked entrance on the Google photo.

Default Re: Old RAF Quedgeley site off the A38

Thanks for putting the photos up, what was the site used for?

Default Re: Old RAF Quedgeley site off the A38

The site was a major storage facility for the RAF, there were several different sites in the area, all very large units. The only time I had any dealings with the place was when I had my gear packed up in large "tri-wall" carboard boxes and shipped back to the UK from Germany.
    After the RAF closed it down it was used to store the renderred carcusses from the Foot & Mouth fiasco, until the locals became aware of the situation, then it was all cleared up, at great expense, sealed, and finally sold off for the new development.

Default Re: RAF Quedgeley - 7 MU - MERGED

On TV tonight, plus an article in "This is Gloucestershire"

FAMILIES in Quedgeley could be living on radioactive land, it has been revealed.
    Tests are to be carried out on more than 90 homes on the northern side of Naas Lane to see if they are affected.
    Work carried out in connection with the development of the former RAF Quedgeley site found contaminated soil due to its former use as a munitions factory and RAF depot.
    Old military waste used to be buried and burned there and among chemicals found at the site include radium a radioactive substance, used to paint cockpits.

Hmm surprised all our ex WWII pilots hadn't died decades ago. There were suitable replies to this article, including - The whole bloody worlds radioactive !
    plus this gem:
    The residents of Quedgely can reduce 90% of the danger by only taking shallow breaths when inside their properties, and not breathing deeply. This technique can be learnt at any yoga class. They should keep doors and windows open at all times to get proper ventialtion of the contaminated air. The air should be totally replaced every hour. Simple and inexpensive precautions to take.
    I'm a bit speechless.

Graham

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Stroll on! Who wrote that cr*p?

I needed something to make me laugh - thanks for putting that up!!

flying off at a tangent again, anyone remember the feathers flying when British Nuclear Fuels were looking for sites for storing low level radioactive waste? I seem to remember Fulbeck was on the list as was Molesworth. The headline in the Hunts post ran something like "Molesworth; a non starter" when it was decidied the site had limitations

It seems that a great number of airfields were possibilities for nuke-waste stores. See the appendices here

Graham

7 MU was mainly for furniture, & all kit to equip MQs, Messes, Offices, etc was held there. It was, apart from a few Supply Branch officers, civilian manned, as were the other UK Supply MUs ( 14, 25, 35) except 16MU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information