Thread: LIBYA - Aziziah

Default LIBYA - Aziziah

I was rather intrigued to read (on another Forum) that the RAF No 4 Aircraft Delivery Unit (Middle East) set up shop at Aziziah. This is the location of the supposed highest, ever, recorded shade air temperature on the earth - 136.4 F. Looked on Google Earth. Can't see anything that might be a deserted airstrip! What's with this?
    Anybody got any clues?
    TIA
    Resmoroh

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Aziziah, Libya

I you sure it is Al Aziziah in Libya? It is a common Arabic name and places occur elsewhere in the Middle East

Just checked RAF Flying Training and Support Units:

Formed 25-4-43 Azizia, 19-7-43 to Sorman. 5-11-43 to Tripoli. 29-11-43 to Bone (dets at Sinello & Loreto)

The second two are certainly Libya. Sinello appears to be Italy. Not sure about the rest.

Graham

Azizia(h), Sorman/Surman, and Tripoli - agreed in Libya. Bone is in Tunisia. Sinello and Loreto - almost certainly in Italy. That all fits.
    During the Italian colonisation period of Libyan history it was, by and large, the Italian aim to develop such natural harbours into ports. It was also the policy to build an airfield about 20 miles inland. At the time this was beyond the range of any naval guns. The theory (so I was told) was that in the event of an attack on the port that attack could be repulsed by air-power from the inland airfield (Tripoli/Tripoli Intl AP, Benghazi/Benina, and Tobruk/El Adem are the best examples. There are a number of others.). I could have understood if 4 ADU(ME) had been set up at what is now Tripoli Intl AP (whatever it was called in WW2!) - or any other serviceable airfield/airstrip in the area. But at Azizia(h)? TFD. Most days in the summer in that neck of the woods you could practically melt lead on any metal surface left out in the sun for more than 20 minutes!!!!! Having done a couple of tours in Libya (pre-Ghadaffi), and been a Met Man, the name Azizia(h) is famous in the Met world and my interest was excited!!
    HTH
    Resmoroh

Thread Information