Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kidbrooke

Default Kidbrooke

As a kid we used to cycle past RAF Kidbrooke on the way to Greenwich Park. We always used to wonder where the aircraft were (we were about 10 at the time)!

I understand the site was for storage and was bulldozed to make way for a 60's concrete housing estate. The only bit that remains, as far as I know, is the level crossing gate to the railway siding off the Bexleyheath branch to Dartford. I looks odd because it leads into a large embankment, presumably to reduce the railway noise.

Later in the 70's I used to work for an ex-RAF National Serviceman who seemed to remember gliding taking place there. Does anyone know if this was the case as it doesn't seem likely?

Peter
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 21-09-2012 at 14:17.

Default Re: RAF Kidbrooke

RAF Kidbrooke was a very important place during the Cold War, it was a language training school for military personnel. Earlier this month 9 /10 Sep 08 a plaque was to be unvieled near the site of the language school. I don't know what else happened there. I did my language training at RAF North Luffenham.

I was under the impression that the language school in the days of national service started at Bodmin then moved to Crail.

As for gliding its possible that the ATC used a site in the are for the grasshoppers which were launched by a bungee cord.

I believe that Kidbrooke was also the Air Publications and Forms Store (APFS).

Kidbrooke was the first, there were other JSSL/JSLS at various locations: namely, but in no particular order;
    Coulsdon, Pucklechurch, Bodmin, Wythal, Crail, North Luffenham and now at a location in Bedfordshire.
    See link to Kidbrooke:
    http://www.greenwich-today.co.uk/tn/News.cfm?id=17286

Quote Originally Posted by listopad
    That Kidbrooke school has further links with aviation history. An ex pupil was Richard Reid - Shoe Bomber

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...-(shoe-bomber)

Graham

There are some of the buildings left on the other side of the A2(on your left going out of london by the kidbrooke turn off).There was also a barrage balloon depot on the site of the school opposite kidbrook BR.Apparantly there is a photo library at the Standard(top of maze hill)with some very good pics of the area.

The langauge school is now at Chicksands, and the pubs abd forms store went to Woolwich Arsenal. Woolwich did at one time have an RAF presence in the London movements unit.

In 1956 Kidbrooke was the RAF Movements School, I attended the 1st Surface Movements Course in October 1956 and returned approx. 18 months later for an Air Movements course.
    Last edited by Mamfe61; 30-06-2011 at 14:08.

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    The langauge school is now at Chicksands, and the pubs abd forms store went to Woolwich Arsenal. Woolwich did at one time have an RAF presence in the London movements unit.
    I think the language school section of the DISC was moved to Beaconsfield at some point... i'm at the Military Intelligence Museum sometime in the next week or two, I can confirm if its of any consequence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information