Thread: Kendal, Ash Meadows, Longpool

Default Kendal, Ash Meadows, Longpool

I am trying to find further information about the fields which were known as Ash Meadows on the north side of Kendal, now where the tennis club is, opposite Queen Katherine School. I know they were used by CD Barnard in the 1920's to land his flying circus but could anyone tell me anymore or even better have any photos?

Default Re: Kendal, Ash Meadows, Longpool

Emma,

Good luck with your search. I suspect it will be difficult to find much unless Ash Meadows was a more formal airfield at some point. Many fields used by the flying circus' (circi?) at the time were just that, fields. My Dad recalled a a display which included landings from the early thirties in Eltham, SE London. There was never an airfield there.

The Flight Archives will probably come up trumps on CD Barnard as he was fairly well know at that time but it may not yield much specific to Kendal.
    The achives are here : http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html

Probably the best source would be the local newspaper archive, if there is one. This would almost certainly have an advert for a display. I can't help with the location of this archive but if you live in the area it might be possible to visit.

Thanks PNK,

The information I have already found was from the local archives and has so far proved quite useful, the field was never an official airfield but surveys were made to create one on this site however WW2 rather got in the way. I was hoping perhaps for anything which might pad this out a little. I guess I am going to have to plod along with the microfiche in the library.

I noticed that Kendal was mentioned a few times in the proposed airports lists in the Flight archives in the 1930s.

Thread Information