Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Speke

Default Re: Raf speke

Is your complaint about RAF or R.A.F??? When I was a lad it was the practice to use periods in abbreviations.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I do wish people would use the correct 'case' for words. It is Royal Air Force Speke, or RAF Speke.
    I'm with you on that Robin.

Regarding using stops in abbreviations, it's been the practice for quite some time now to omit them (New Hart's Rules / The Oxford Guide to Style). I'm also happy with that one - makes writing less cluttered. The TNA is extremely inconsistent with RAF, R.A.F. and R A F, for example - beware when using their search engine.

The 'rules' are complex, but generally a stop is used on a truncated word, e.g. Prof. for Professor, but not in a contraction - if the final letter is correct, e.g. Dr for Doctor. However Street becomes St. to differentiate it from St for Saint.

To be honest it gets very very tedious obeying these rules as exceptions keep appearing. I'm going to the pub .

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby View Post
    I'm with you on that Robin.

Regarding using stops in abbreviations, it's been the practice for quite some time now to omit them (New Hart's Rules / The Oxford Guide to Style). I'm also happy with that one - makes writing less cluttered. The TNA is extremely inconsistent with RAF, R.A.F. and R A F, for example - beware when using their search engine.

The 'rules' are complex, but generally a stop is used on a truncated word, e.g. Prof. for Professor, but not in a contraction - if the final letter is correct, e.g. Dr for Doctor. However Street becomes St. to differentiate it from St for Saint.

To be honest it gets very very tedious obeying these rules as exceptions keep appearing. I'm going to the pub .

Graham
    Think I'll come with you !!

In 1964 I joined the R.A.F. at R.A.F. Station Locking, when I got the bullet in 2004 I was discharged at RAF Leuchars.
    The correct method of addressing an RAF formation is in JSP 101 and the RAF postal directory. The word Station or Unit
    was alway inserted before the name, but rarely appears now. . A location must be self accounting before getting Station status. In addition to Harts Rules the Services have always had a massive publication plus annexes and addendums (spelling) which dictate the convention used by the individual Services. Much of it followed civillian convention but there were differences. Spelling to be adopted was detailed as a particular edition of the Concise Oxford Dictionary.

Mine is a pint of Spitfire, cheers.

Robin.

Mine is a pint of Spitfire, cheers.

Robin.
    Downed all over Kent just like the Luftwaffe !!

TED

Quote Originally Posted by ted angus View Post
    Downed all over Kent just like the Luftwaffe !!

TED
    Hi Ted.

Just remember, they are now our allies.

Robin.

Hi Ted.

Just remember, they are now our allies.

Robin.
    Yes and having worked with all NATO allies They and the Canadians are the best to work with, The Dutch and Danes are great but tended to lack ungency, The Belgiums only worked day shift, The Italians will blame anyone convienient for their mistakes. I won't continue. I was Taceval DI staff for 2 years and served under a German Colonel top man !!
    But I couldn't cope with the schnapps at breakfast needed a shot of Gavescon after it

TED

Talking of Speke,this thread on key a while ago got interesting,split into 2 camps - I was most definitely in the 'Ground Collision' camp,we speculated it might have been a ground collision between the F5 (P thirty eight) and a production Halifax !
    Anybody know anything about the incident ??
    cannot post pic today but it is on post number 4

rgds baz

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...ollision+speke

Just to prod this thread again for any info regarding this photo,but please read relevant posts on this Key thread before any comments (post 11 onwards)

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...ollision+speke

Last edited by bvs; 04-06-2011 at 06:34.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information