Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RVR Tower

Default RVR Tower

I saw the C17 landing at Lyneham and saw the RVR tower, painted in red and white checks as well. For those of you not familiar it stands for Runway Visual Range, and there are a seperate set of lights to the side of the runway lights and basically in low vis someone from thje towere will go out and count how many of these lights they can see. Up in the tower they can then work out what the visibilty is along the runway.

Sounds great but nine times out of ten the aircrew tend not to believe the figures. And it can actually be a job trying to tell the rvr lights apart from the runway lights.

Now that was how it was done in my day, as Lyneham still has an rvr tower Imguessding the system still operates like that. Can anyone enlighten me please?
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 14-04-2014 at 00:11. Reason: Formatted title

Default Re: RVR towers

Transmissometer's are used these days...

Some antiquated or to put it politely, underfnded airports/fields still rely on the poor firemen(& women) to go out and count the runway lights.

Only place I knew of that used the firemen was Leuchars, in my time at Marham we didnt have an rvr tower.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

The Middle East airbase on which I worked in 1970 used a transmissometer. Never did find out who was responsible to clean the glass.....

Typically before commencing an instrument approach the reported met visibility (or RVR in this case) should be in excess of defined values. These values as measured by transmissometers (IRVR) relate to the Touchdown Zone, Mid Point and Stop End. So for a CAT1 ILS for example the values might be 550,150,150 CAT2 350,150,150 CAT3A 150.150.75. etc

The second and third readings (limits) in particular may be modified locally to meet requirements but broadly speaking would equate to low visbility take off minima. (rejected take off considerations) - It's worth noting that irrespective of reported RVR's pilots are still required to acquire prescribed visual cues prior to completing an approach. (maybe 4 lights for example)

Auto Landing is one thing.. visual cues for deceleration, stopping and vacating the runway should also be considered.
    Most of you will have experienced the disorientating effects of "running into a fog bank" on the road - a similar effect may occur on landing where visibility is reduced after touchdown.

So for a CAT1 ILS a "human reported" RVR may be acceptable to commence an approach but pilots will still need to acquire the prescribed visual cues to continue it.
    Visit the CAA website and search for CAP746 for more info on Met Observations at Aerodromes.

Cheers
    Dave

RVR Tower at Upper Heyford

Graham

A bit basic!!!!

Nasty horrible drafty little places, that leaked like buckets and were infested with flies....................Lac(w) bloggs, I have a job for you !

The old RVR towers at St Mawgan had been condemned and not used for years, before finally being torn down in 2008. St Mawgan had not had an RVR capability for quite a while as far as I know. Certainly no RVRs were reported since I returned in 2006.

Newquay airport has an IRVR. All high tech with readings taken from three sensors positioned along the edge of the runway, with the readings appearing on a small screen in front of the controllers, both in the VCR and Radar.

Wouldn't describe the Upper Heyford one as a "tower"

I have given this problem to the lady who was, certainly as far as Civil Aviation airfields was concerned, The Expert on RVR calibrations. We will see what we shall see! I ask your patience! Some of her responses may have to be sanitised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Resmoroh

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information