Thread: SASKATCHEWAN - Weyburn

Default SASKATCHEWAN - Weyburn

No. 41 SFST Weyburn No. 8 SFTS Weyburn, Saskatchewan

No. 41 SFTS Weyburn, Saskatchewan opened in 01/05/42 closed on 01/22/44 aircraft on strength were Harvard, Anson.
    No. 8 SFTS Weyburn, Saskatchewan opened in 01/02/44 closed on 06/30/44 aircraft on strength Harvard, Anson.
    Interestingly, there is one Harvard still flying that served with #8 SFTS and is currently with the Canadian Harvard aircradt association in Ontario Canada.
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 01-01-2013 at 18:04.

Default Re: No. 41 SFST Weyburn No. 8 SFTS Weyburn, Saskatchewan

second set of pics

Default Re: No. 41 SFST Weyburn No. 8 SFTS Weyburn, Saskatchewan

Great Pics Peter, I really have to get out west some day

Default SASKATCHEWAN - Weyburn / BCATP #8 SFTS

Weyburn still has an amazing amount of buildings present. It was home to Harvards and Cessna Cranes. Several hangars remain as well as H barracks, gun butt and mt shed as well as some smaller buildings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: SASKATCHEWAN - Weyburn / BCATP #8 SFTS

Second batch of pictures showing what appears to be a small out building and the gun butt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: #8SFTS Weyburn Manitoba

Having just checked the Nav Canada Flight Suplement which lists all Canadian airfields the only Weyburn is in Saskatchewan. It has airport code CJE3 and is still active with runways 06/24 3000x75m and 12/30 4000x75m.

There is no other Weyburn airfield listed not even in the list of disused / abandoned airfields so if there was a Weyburn airfield in Manitoba it has now disapeared to the point it is no longer visible from the air. This is the criteria for coming off the Nav Canada list of abandoned airfields.

I thought the runway length was bit too long so I did some research. The runway is 4000 feet long, not 4000 metres. Blimey NAV Canada have you learnt nothing since the Gimli glider!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canberra my fault rather than Nav Canada. I'm so used to looking at UK / European info where runway dimensions are in meters I forgot to check the units in the Canada Flight Supplement - should have remembered from when I was out there. Oops

Default Re: SASKATCHEWAN - Weyburn

Thread Information