Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eshott

Default Eshott

Hello there,

New member - firstly, apologies for making a new thread on the above, but I don't think the other one covered what I'm after

I am an amateur photographer with a special interest in derelict/abandoned sites/buildings, and I'm after more info on the above.

I visited the site at the weekend (and it's HUGE) but only found a couple of substation remains along with a genuine WWII gents' room...
    A local gave me tantalising comments of a hospital and some firing butts (on private land) but I would really love to get hold of a plan or any description of any sort that might help me find more buildings

Hope you can help!!

Thanks
    Mick
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 17-09-2012 at 13:45.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: RAF Eshott

Welcome Foz77, I look forward to seeing your images related to WW2 airfields etc.

The RAF Museum (RAFM) at Hendon is listed as holding Record Site Plan 200/45 showing the airfield and dispersed sites.

You need to contact DORIS (Department of Research and Information Services)

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/research.cfm

Thanks for the info. Have emailed them to see if I can get my hands on a map. This is literally all I got from the first visit - hope people like toilets...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dear all,

Obtained plans for Eshott - for any interested in seeing the pictures, please follow this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fozstar...7624656488745/ Please feel free to correct me on any building names etc and thanks for looking!!

Cheers
    Mick

Thanks for posting the pics. Some cracking shots on your Flickr page. I am no expert on buildings so I can't comment on them, except that the water tower is not original and probably a feed hopper. I have used some urinals that look in worse condition that yours and they were supposed to be in use!

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics. Some cracking shots on your Flickr page. I am no expert on buildings so I can't comment on them, except that the water tower is not original and probably a feed hopper. I have used some urinals that look in worse condition that yours and they were supposed to be in use!
    Thanks for the comment PNK. Site 9 is definitely different from the plans - that long building is not on the plans at all as far as I can tell, so possibly not an original building?? Also the static pool is in a different position...

It was a rewarding expore, not just from a photographic point of view, but from what I gleaned about the site from various locals

One site I didnt get to was Communal (Site 2) - the gym is still there but being used commercially now - may have to have a shufty one Sunday

I took a look at your images Foz77, good job.

Eshott was 1942 airfield at multiple small frying pan type dispersals are evident and not fighter pens.

Where was/is Building 102 (SAA Store) located?

102.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    I took a look at your images Foz77, good job.

Eshott was 1942 airfield at multiple small frying pan type dispersals are evident and not fighter pens.

Where was/is Building 102 (SAA Store) located?
    Peter

The site (no remains) of 102 can be found on the north side of the airfield. Most of this area is private fields with cattle, and very few buildings are there. Click on the above thumbnail

Mick

Thanks, I asked because I could see the 'screwhead' road access at that point which is typical of an isolated munitions store. The road layout was to permit a vehicle to be reversed. Also, Building 102 is shown on the RSP as Permanent Brick construction.

Found this structure on 3rd visit to the site - its not on the plans Ive got - anyone know what this was used for??

IMGP1840.jpg

Ta
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information