Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Millom

Default Millom

RAF Millom Aviation & Military Museum Closure

Dear Friends

It comes with great regret to announce the closure of the RAF Millom Museum and its entry into Voluntary Liquidation due to escalating debts, a reduction in visitors and severe lack of funding.

If you have any items on display/loan can you please forward a list of the items along with your full contact details to myself so they can excluded from the liquidation, however you may wish to remove your items immediately from the museum for safe keeping. Please note access to the museum is restricted and done so at your own risk due to no liability insurance remaining in force, access can be requested via Mrs Dot Neate who will record who enters and what is removed from the museum.

01229-770119

jrneate@aol.com

Being a volunteer I am only able to assist and answer questions on non business related maters, all creditors will be contacted directly by the Liquidator in due time.

If the museum owes you any payments i.e. for items placed in the shop for sale could you please send you request for payment to the business contact below.

Any business related queries should be directed to the former Museum Directors, Mrs Maureen Gleaves and Mr Denis Gleaves who are running the company through the liquidation process,

01229-778189

maureen.gleaves@sky.com

Please use the normal Museum postal address for any correspondence.

RAF Millom Aviation & Military Museum
    Bank Head Estate
    Haverigg
    Millom,
    Cumbria
    LA18 4LZ

If you know of anyone else who has items loaned to the museum or is owed any payments can you please ask them to get in touch.

If you have any museum property can you please ensure it is returned as soon as possible.

More information will be sent as and when it becomes available.

Thank you for all of you support over the years

Best regards

Mark Gaskell

Volunteer/Supporter Co-Coordinator

mark.gaskell@live.co.uk
    Last edited by Carnaby; 04-02-2012 at 18:43. Reason: Title simplified

Default Re: RAF Millom Aviation & Military Museum Closure

Dear Friends

Can you please use the address below to ensure any correspondence is received by someone who can deal with it, can you resend if necessary as it may not be received - sorry

RAF Millom Aviation & Military Museum
    C/O Mrs Maureen Gleaves
    11,Butterflowers,
    Haverigg,
    Millom,
    Cumbria
    LA18 4GY

Many thanks

Mark

Default RAF Millom Museum Closure, Airfield Items Available

This is a link to the now defunct RAF Millom Museum liquidators website, http://www.doddrescue.co.uk/forsale.html
    When you go to the page you will see a link for 'Millom items potentialy for sale' lists and there are pages of stuff potentialy available for sale.
    Although mainly aircraft related, I did notice that there are a few airfield items for sale in there including Goose Neck flares, lighting, and that airfield lighting indicator board that you can see on the first page. I haven't taken a thorough look so there could be much more.

Default Re: RAF Millom Museum Closure, Airfield Items Available

Thanks for posting this MM. I am amazed that it has come to this and I am sure there is a lesson to be learnt here for the archive company. What I find interesting is that a lot of this stuff was donated in good faith, and yet in most cases it is unknown who actually ownes this material or where it came from. I hope we never get into this mess, I for one will make damn sure that the stuff i donate to the archive is backed up with trustees to look after it in the event of me going AWOL!

You could have got yourself a Whirlwind for 6200 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-12303519

There was an item on BBC northwest yesterday about the museum sell off, debts of a quarter of a million quid. Personally I think the museum was in the wrong location.

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    Personally I think the museum was in the wrong location.
    Completely agree with that. Millom is a very difficult place to get to, and you don't just happen to pass by. I attempted to visit the museum twice during 2006-8, but found it closed on both occasions.
    I think the group were also involved with restoration of the the FAA transit camp HMS Macaw at Bootle / Hycemoor - a few miles to the notrh

All very sad.

Graham
    Last edited by Carnaby; 29-01-2011 at 13:19.

I understand that the sale 'only' raised 32,000 but the museum has something like a reported 250,000 liability . I agree with Carnaby in Post#6 as not the easiest aviation museum to get to perhaps illustrated by their only having a reported 1,000 visitors last year .

Default New Millom museum

One of the original founder members of the recently closed Millom aviation museum , John Nixon , is to open a small exhibition about the airfield within a local heritage centre .
    See here ;http://www.whitehaven-news.co.uk/new...errerPath=news

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information