Thread: Jamming

tigger

Default Jamming

Not the Waliers song....

Can anyone tell me the specific location of the following site -

From http://www.northstaffs1940s.co.uk/B_O_Beams.htm

"During October 1940, the Air Ministry requisitioned a meadow just of Congleton Rd, Mow Cop to set up the transmitter station. They soon began to install the equipment with the erection of two tall masts, several permanent huts, underground cabling and most significant, a sentry post to prevent unauthorised access. As with other jamming stations throughout the country, the local population would speculate as to the stations purpose. Was it for aircraft counting and spotting, some form of radio detection or a listening station etc. What was it for? It would not be until the mid 1970's that the true nature of it's purpose would be revealed. The Mow Cop site was fully manned by 80 wing personnel for the remainder of the war.

On the night of the bombing of Coventry, 14th and 15th November 1940, only six Bromide stations had come into operation, Mow Cop being one of these."

Default Re: Jamming

There are many excellent books about electronic countermeasures in WW2. Two I'd particularly recommend are:

"Instruments of Darkness" by Alfred Price

"Most Secret War" by R V Jones

Well worth getting out of the library.

tigger

The quote suggests a meadow rather than the rough ground around the castle.

I have both the books mentioned and whilst Jones is reckoned to be one of The books I've alsways found it quite tedious to read. An easier introduction is "Echoes and Reflections" by Keith Wood. Unfortunately none of the books I have give much clue about the location of the Mow Cop 80 Wing site

Brettingham, Laurie. 1997. Royal Air Force Beambenders, 80 (Signals) Wing 1940-1945. Earl Shilton: Midland Counties Publishing is a good source for this stuff. Originally 14.95, you can now pick one up for 200, or S/H 20 from here.

Although it doesn't seem to mention Mow Cop it does describe activities at Heston, Ide Hill, Ditchling, Mintlaw, Longside, Flimwell, Hurst Green, Mundesley, Kimmeridge and many others.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Can anyone tell me the specific location of the following site -

From http://www.northstaffs1940s.co.uk/B_O_Beams.htm

"During October 1940, the Air Ministry requisitioned a meadow just of Congleton Rd, Mow Cop to set up the transmitter station.
    They soon began to install the equipment with the erection of two tall masts, several permanent huts, underground cabling and most significant, a sentry post to prevent unauthorised access.
    What appear to be hut bases in the right location:
    http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=19&oz=8&gt=1

The huts that stood on them appear to have been demolished during 2005-06.

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by P Bellamy; 18-08-2010 at 21:36.

tigger

Thanks Graham. I suspect the site might have been that now occupied by the BBC transmitter as that is close to Congleton Road and on high ground.

I saw those Paul but wasn't they where hut bases or not.

Thread Information