Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THURNBY LODGE - Lancaster ND647 Memorial

Default Re: Lancaster crash 08 April 1945 - Thurnby, Leicestershire

Thank You to all involved in finding out the information about the Lancaster crash 8th april 1945. Also to those who have cleaned up the plaque. Gerald Gore was my Fathers uncle
    and we have only just found out the details of the crash this year after research on the internet. Sadly Geralds sister died last year and only had sketchy details of the crash. My Father has happy memories of his young
    uncle and can remember wearing his flying helmet as a boy. As a family we thank you for keeping such detailed information thus allowing us some closure. We will remember them.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Catherine, I am very pleased that our discussion on this particular memorial has reached a surviving relative and that you have gained some comfort from finding out details of the crash. A side effect that adds a personal and poignant touch.

Here's another account of what was observed on the day of the crash: http://www.wartimeleicestershire.com...r_files/29.htm

Default Re: Scraptoft/Thurnby Lodge (Avro Lancaster ND647)

Terence Cartwright was the chap who was responsible for the plaque. It was installed in 1996.

Default Re: THURNBY LODGE - Lancaster ND647 Memorial

My father witnessed the crash while on a bike ride with a friend. He would often recount what he saw whenever he drove by the bus stop looking down towards the garden center from the A47 (where he stood and watched the it all take place). The whole experience left him rather traumatized. A very sad loss for all the families of the aircrew, especially so, being so close to the end of the war.

At least he talked about it which appears to be the best way of dealing with the trauma of witnessing. I only found out after my Mum died that her epilepsy was thought to have started after a bomb hit Woolwich Arsenal where she was working in the pay department. She was okay but again she was a witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kirk View Post
    I only found out after my Mum died that her epilepsy was thought to have started after a bomb hit Woolwich Arsenal where she was working in the pay department. She was okay but again she was a witness.
    Did you manage to hear any account from her of the Woolwich bombing?

I asked my father to write down what he remembered of the Lancaster crash in Thurnby, just before he died a couple of years later. I'm so glad that I did.

I ended up loading up his story online. http://www.wartimeleicestershire.com...ir_files/2.htm

Wow!! What a story!!!! Thanks for sharing it with us Diatu. The title 'Sunshine To Sadness' couldn't have been more apt sadly.

I used to live in Thurnby Lodge when I was a kid in the 80's not too far from that crash site so I've got a particular interest in it. It really was tragic reading about the crash & I was fascinated with the references to the airfield, Shady Lane (& the POW camp), Evington etc as they where places me & my mates used to ride our bikes to albeit in much less dramatic times obviously.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevie; 01-07-2014 at 08:41.

Hi All

I am not sure if the users who began this post still visit the site or if this thread is still live. But this is worth a go.

My grandfathers brother unfortunately lost his life in this crash - Thomas "Tanky" Neale (Air Bomber aged 22).

My grandfather (Francis Neale) is 86 and I would think he would really appreciate any more information/news clippings on the crash. The family does have the book written by Terrence Cartwright along with flight logs, news paper clippings and some other extracts. Does anyone have a clear photo of the memorial that I could possibly be sent?

My great grandmother was presented with a book from a local Birmingham activity club which included a letter of condolence along with number of extracts from war publication produced during the war, which my grandfather still has to this day

Thanks

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by birmingham85 View Post
    Hi All

I am not sure if the users who began this post still visit the site or if this thread is still live. But this is worth a go.

My grandfathers brother unfortunately lost his life in this crash - Thomas "Tanky" Neale (Air Bomber aged 22).

My grandfather (Francis Neale) is 86 and I would think he would really appreciate any more information/news clippings on the crash. The family does have the book written by Terrence Cartwright along with flight logs, news paper clippings and some other extracts. Does anyone have a clear photo of the memorial that I could possibly be sent?

My great grandmother was presented with a book from a local Birmingham activity club which included a letter of condolence along with number of extracts from war publication produced during the war, which my grandfather still has to this day

Thanks

Paul
    Hi Paul,

Yes, this thread is very much still alive especially when we get a fascinating posts like yours above so it's great to hear from you. I'll be more than happy to send you all the photographs I've taken of the Plaque. I can email them to you if you would like? or send them to you in a Private Message on here.

The Leicestershire Aviation website may be of use for you. It's ran by a lovely guy called John Collier who has masses of Leicester & Leicestershire aviation related material in his archives. I must admit I haven't spoken to John for a while & he wasn't in the best of health last time I did speak to him but he'll certainly be more than happy to help. His website & contact details can be found by clicking on this link below -

http://www.leicestershire-aviation.co.uk/

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information