Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lichfield / Fradley

Red face Re: Lichfield / Fradley

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    What does this have to do with Lichfield?
    Nothing, my apologies for my portion of thread creep.

Canberra, now see what you've done! I bow to your greater experience: please advise how the barrel is adjusted when boresighting to SUSAT

Default Re: Lichfield / Fradley

A few photos of Fradley taken in Oct 2013. I don't have much info on this site so any pointers as to what has been photographed would be very welcome...

The airfield is hardly recognisable from the air now, numerous warehouses cover the site and it's been cut in half by the new access road.

Is this the original main entrance and guardroom?

The thresholds of runways 17 and 22 at the northern corner of the site.

From a different angle. I seem to remember this section of runway being covered with ex-MOD Series 3 Land Rovers and Sankey Trailers a few years ago.

Hangars to the north-west of the site...

The photos were taken from a 1946 Piper Clipper, which seemed very fitting... Must have a ground-based visit before too long.
    Last edited by Sparky67; 29-10-2013 at 19:35.

Excellent aerial photos, the second photo certainly has the military roadway layout look about it, could well have been the main entrance

Yes - that was the main entrance. Guardroom on the left.
    This was the airfield which inspired my interest in disused airfields. Went around it in autumn 1961 - a deserted misty airfield still with names on doors. Just as the RAF had left it. Immensely evocative. I live not too far away and it's sad to see how it's developed but that's progress and it provides many jobs in the area.

2nd photo: the main entrance and Wardens office is roughly in the centre and these then shown in more detail in photo 3. The cleared rectangle was works services area and the Lubricant & Inflamables store still remains at the furthest corner from your camera. The trailers are parked on the base from the main stores

3rd photo: as well as Wardens Office shows the HQ Office, Gas Decontamination Centre and Canteen

6th photo: bomb store road just beyond the newer road to the bungalow. Bulk of the bomb store left of the photo but two fusing points in the young trees. Third fusing point is bottom left. (the gun butts are hidden in the trees between there and the L sheds).

7th photo: bomb stores covered most of the area between the L sheds and the canal

Thanks for the identification info gents. Here are a few more photos, this time from ground level...

Building at entrance to track to bomb store on Gorse Lane.

Track to bomb store off Gorse Lane.

Building to north of the track

Stencilled on a door...

Next building along the track, again to the north. In fact 3 separate buildings with walls in the gaps supporting partial concrete roofs over the entrances.

One door is in remarkably good condition, almost undamaged, with this number and 45(?) painted by the lock.

Last edited by Sparky67; 10-11-2013 at 14:52.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Post 46 - Image 1 is an SAA Store - Bldg 142 - AM Drawing Number unknown

Post 46 - Images 4 & 5 are of an SAA Store Type F - Bldg 318 - to AM Drawing 16075/40 Permanent Brick

Post 47 - Images 1 thru 5 are of a Pyrotechnic and Incendiary Bomb Store - Bldg 321 - to AM Drawing 5244/40, Permanent Brick. As built, there would have been full earth traversing around the building on all sides to the height of the eaves. A brick ended entrance through the front traverse in three places permitted pedestrian access only. Usually cement rendered externally but some not.

EDIT: The Post 47 building is the same type as the one that I pointed out at Hixon. They survive well because they were built strong and lend themselves to post-war agricultural use although some survivors have been modified by Farmer Giles to put entrance doors in the front elevations.
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 10-11-2013 at 06:34.

Thanks for the details on these buildings Petertheeater.

...and on the left towards the bottom end of the second straight section of the track, with an earth bank on 3 sides.

The far room above (closer to the camera below) doesn't extend back to the rear of the building, the second room is L-shaped and runs across behind the smaller room.

Spotted in the trees just to the right of the public footpath running through the bottom field leading to the canal. If you do visit here continue along the FP to the right, cross the canal and The Swan at Fradley Junction (dates from 1790) is good for lunch...

and at the top of the track, looking back towards Gorse Lane, with the huuge Tesco warehouse on the airfield opposite.

Last edited by Sparky67; 11-11-2013 at 09:02. Reason: Information added

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Post 49 - images 1 thru 4 are a Component Store to AM Drawing 5384/40 used to store Bomb Fuzes, Exploders and Bomb Pistols. There were two of these (insurance in case one was wiped out!). I assume that is the one here:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...=None&rov=None

the second was (is) here:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...=None&rov=None

Spotted in the trees just to the right of the public footpath running through the bottom field leading to the canal. If you do visit here continue along the FP to the right, cross the canal and The Swan at Fradley Junction (dates from 1790) is good for lunch...

Image 5 is the remains of one of seven HE Bomb Stores to AM Drawing 5416/40 Type C comprising an open approx 30 feet square compartment surrounded on three sides by 5 feet high earth traversing to form a hollow square. The access road crossed the fourth (open) side which was protected by a separate earth traverse on the outside of the road.

I used to eat my lunch inside a 5416/40 store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information