Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Townsend

It feels like it sometimes Peter!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REF
    It feels like it sometimes Peter!!!!
    Feels like it for the rest of us as well sometimes, especially on a visit to East Anglia

Peter, out of interest, what series OS map is that grab from? Looks to be 1:25 thou but when does it date from?

Chris

I'm' going to butt in here ( That's if no one objects ) and guess that the map is of fifties vintage as if you look at the type face of the place names its done in the Roman Classic font style, I have old OS maps from the Sixties & even they are more in the modern vein of an Aerial type font. It could even be a prewar one!

P.S If you type in the following SU0672 in the search square on http://www.geograph.org.uk You will see on that corner of the site of the field that the heights seem different now than they were whenever the illustrated map was Cartographed ( well that's if this the word I'm looking for, but you know what I mean!) Is this due to more reliable mapping systems?
    Cheers all Ant

The grab is from 1:50k Marlborough and Devizes - Sheet 112 (1919).
    It can be found on this excellent site

http://www.ponies.me.uk/maps/osmap.html

It is based on Google Maps and has OS overlays. Some aerodromes are noted on some maps e.g. Eastleigh.

Peter

Ant,

The differnence in height is due to metrication. I used to be 5 something now I am only 1 something. Not sure when that happened though.

Peter

With the onset of serious air-raids during 1940, came the urgent need for the dispersal of very large numbers of aircraft being held by, or awaiting the attention of, the various aircraft storage units located in the general area of the Cotswolds, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire.

By October 1940, some 50 sites had been selected as potential landing grounds and storage areas for this purpose, mostly in the parkland surrounding stately homes, where the scattered tree cover would provide perfect natural concealment.

Yatesbury airfield had been used in 1940 as a temporary dispersal area for a number of aircraft held by Nos. 10, 19 and 33 Maintenance Units (MU) which had yet to make arrangements for permanent satellite landing grounds. As a result a small number of Wellingtons, Bothas and Harvards were parked here until Townsend satellite landing ground opened as No. 45 SLG on 1 August 1941. From this date Townsend was used to relieve No. 33 MU at Lynham and the first two Wellingtons - Z8350 and Z8351 flew in for fitting out for operational RAF service. Just over one month later they departed on the first leg of their journey to the Middle East, where they were to serve with Nos. 104 and 148 Squadrons. Other types being handled by 33 MU during this period included Lysanders, Bothas, Beaufighters and Lysanders Masters. Spitfires were to become one of the principle responsibilities of the Lynham MU, and many were outbased at Townsend.

Ground conditions deteriorated during the autumn and the SLG was taken out of use until the following March. During the six months that followed, an ever changing sequence of Spitfires were stored here. Examples of these with their arrival dates are: R7119s (17-3-42), L1056 (21-5-42), R7067 (25-6-42), K9876 and X4643 (24-8-42). By then the number of other types being dealt with by 33 MU had been reduced to four - Beaufighter, Blenheim, Tiger Moth and Wellington.

During this same period, several improvements were made to 45 SLG, including the provision of a second landing strip. While Townsend’s total capacity had been (for a short while) increased to 76 aircraft, the site was vacated on 1 October 1942 and its task taken over by the larger 31 SLG at Everleigh, near Upavon.

With a view to providing for the major campaigns of 1944, Townsend was held in reserve for the next two years and although not used for aircraft storage, it became once again a satellite for No. 2 Radio School’s Proctor aircraft.

Only one Air Ministry building survives today (NGR: SU 0673 7184) which has partially collapsed.

(Compiled and Written by me in 1997)

Thanks for all the info guys, I did manage to visit the site, nothing to see except fields and the nice little memorial.

Default Re: Townsend

Townsend No45 Satellite Landing Ground.

DSC03843.jpg
    This Is How The Landing Ground Looks Now.

DSC03844.jpg
    The Landing Ground Memorial

DSC03841.jpg
    A Close-Up Of The Memorial.

The track to Townsend is RAF type tarmack large stones, that is all I found there.

Looks pretty much the same as when I went there in 2008! I think the landing ground was a couple of fields further north to where the memorial is located.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information