Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Middleton St George / Teeside Airport

Default Middleton St George / Teeside Airport

Does anyone know what is happeneing on the other side of the airfield from the terminal? Google Earth shows demolition of the bomb dump and some nearby dispersal pans?

suprised that you actually need to ask this question, as its only been 14 years or so in the planning. Its the opening stages of a freight terminal development, and is part of Peels overall plan part of which is the new terminal building, new hotels and facilities.

For anyone interested there's now about 50 detailed drawings etc on the Stockton BC website showing the whole south side development,
    including the new acccess road, fencing, buildings, landscaping, etc.

http://www.planningwam.stockton.gov.uk/ ... 8/0728/FUL

look for the associated documents tab once you've found the application to see the
    actual drawings)

A few pics of Middleton St George

Hi

According to Paul's Photobucket site these where taken in 1981.

Paul are the 20 pics on your photo site all the ones you have of Middleton St George, theres a few buildings I'd be interested to see pics of that arent there anymore or have changed so much.

I think I ask you a while back, if you had the B1 Hanger but I think you said no, and the Electronics Building which is now part of the Terminal I think you also said you didnt take a picture of that.

I'm not at home now so I dont have the building list to hand, but the Guardroom and theres a white building on the very left edge of the Station HQ photo I think that was a Chapel do you have pics of these?

All I have is another shot of the workshop, another of the tower, the gym - several of that and thats it. I cannot think what I was thinking back then I remember the B1 too

The Gym?, I think that was near the Oak tree pub outside the main airport boundary? long since demolished if it was. Can you post one up of it, please, if possible.

The B1 has been stripped of its skin for years now and had a massive new section of steelwork added to one side of it, but its been sat like that for years. I think it was going to be a Leisure center

It's still best to have the photos you have rather than none at all though.

Stevo

!981, ok thanks. I remember going back there in 1996 and having a look inside the air raid shelter that was beside the larger hangar in the photo. There was also an air raid shelter in front of the Officiers mess which is now a hotel but sadly the shelter has been removed during the construction?

Also Paul, in your book it says something like 'Middleton st george was one of the first operational station to have a Type J', that would mean then its one of the oldest examples?

Yes Stevo, the last C and the first J.

Interesting, shame it was caught in another change and only got 2 T2 and a B1, You can see that the design of the station was laid out like Leeming and Topcliffe and it should have had another 3 J-types. Would have looked much different if it had received them.

Stevo

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information