Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seco Huts

Default Seco Huts

We really don't have enough photos of Seco huts on here at the moment, and I know there are a few on here who have an interest, so here's some to start the ball rolling:

Deenethorpe, Building 74: Squadron Radar Workshop 5697/43.

Outside:

Inside:

Deenethorpe, (believed to be) Building 65: Squadron Armoury 3929/43.

Outside:

Inside (probably) :

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 13-04-2014 at 19:30. Reason: Formatted title

Default Re: The Seco hut thread...

I wonder if the ones at Leuchars are still in use? Hopefully Ted can tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    I wonder if the ones at Leuchars are still in use? Hopefully Ted can tell us.
    Why do you give me all the hard questions ??? LOL I am racking the olde grey cells, was part of the old eng wg HQ complex Seco if so that was destroyed for the new 56 sqn HQ now I think occupied by 6 sqn I seem to recall some over near 111sqn used by tanker pool lads which may still be there . must get my son to get me a pass and make a recce visit ?? where else was there some you know fine well fire engines got me highly excited Huts no but I could be converted !!

TED

Ah the secos or is it SECOs? Im on about are on the domestic site, its the complex that had the tailors MRT HQ and DHE in it.

Yes they are all still there I don't know one hut from another but I didn't think they are Seco DHE long gone full circle again MQ back under full defence estates control run on a regional basis , tailor and MRT still in there plus other odds and s*ds

TED

main01.jpg Seco Huts at Kingston Bagpuize alas now removed.

http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlant...tml/page01.htm

SEco.jpgSEco 001.jpgSEco 002.jpgSEco 004.jpgSEco 003.jpg

Photos of the RDF Seco huts at HOSM 1995.
    There were two such buildings ... one shot showing the internal construction

Latter two were at RAF Binbrook in 1990, there was quite a few of these
    Last edited by Able Mabel; 14-10-2010 at 12:23.

Possibly the most expressive use of the Seco hut in RAF use were the combined operations block and terminals used at St Mawgan (1228/43) and Valley, and in a lesser and purely civil extent at Heathrow.

The Seco huts were linked together in a complex all linked by a single corridor spine which led to the control tower itself, the nearer the huts got to the tower the more important they were in an ops sense. The terminal itself had a kitchen and buffet area which was adjacent to the entrance and exit to the aircraft dispersal.
    The main passenger and baggage processing part consisted of a taller than normal Seco. The were various censor and security rooms to process the inward/outbound passengers.

Above is a plan of the St Mawgan Seco 'maze' layout, I have cleaned it up and colour coded it
    so that the military sections and passenger flow control with the various censors, imigration, and secrecy areas are easier to understand, it is drawn from the 1944 plan.
    For more readable detail click on the attached picture at the bottom of the post.

General aerial shots showing the extent and position of the Seco 'maze'

The Seco Maze served as St Mawgan's main ops block until 1975 when the new and high tech block opened, this was then demolished in 1976. This picture shows the last remaining part which still survives attached to the tower. It originally housed the USAAF C/O and his officers, while another one opposite housed their RAF counterparts. The main corridor spine originally entered the tower inbetween the two windows seen at the rear.

A look inside the remaining rooms and corridor, this section has housed various units post war, including an RAF aerial rigger unit and Aux RAF Regt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mawganmad; 22-09-2012 at 00:07.

I have to ask the silly question but are these a similar prefab concrete construction to BCF huts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information