Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembrance Day - Remembering a local war grave

Default Re: Remembrance Day - Remembering a local war grave

For years on my way to work, I have passed this CWGC head stone, situated in the corner of Fulmodestone Churchyard. Finally I stopped and looked and was quite surprised with what I saw.
    As no one is buried there, but are buried in the next village of Croxton.
    Questions I am looking into hopefully, when I get time to check Church records etc.
    I might find some answers.
    Where did they die?
    Why was H. J. Utting buried there and not in his own village of Barny where according to my research he lived? And I have found several Uttings buried in Barny Churchyard.
    Why did a lad of 17 join the army and die for his country.

Here is why I think the CWGC Headstone is at Fulmodestone and not at Croxton for some reason Croxton Church was abandoned. I have searched the graveyard, but have found no trace of their graves, I think you will see why
    This is Croxton Church and graveyard.

Quote Originally Posted by DG1 View Post
    Why did a lad of 17 join the army and die for his country.
    Probably for the same reason an 18 year old did in Afghanistan 2 years ago, pride in, and a sense of duty to his country. Two qualities found more readily in the youth of the early to mid 20th century than in todays mollycoddled, selfish society!!
    Last edited by cbrjock; 14-11-2010 at 14:02. Reason: rewording

Its actually a good point as to why a 17 year old died in wwii, the age for conscription was 18. You could join up under 18 as a boy soldier, but someone under 18 wouldnt or shouldnt have seen action.

The 17 year old in question was killed in WW1.

Both men died in the Great War, both appear to be from Fulmodestone, I would really like to know more, DG hope you can find time to look at the church records. I also wonder if these men are on any of the local war memorials.

Theres a grave in our local churchyard of a lad of 17 killed on HMS Repulse... I'll ty to get a pic...

Was the Navy lad not Jack Cornwell?? Quite well known, I believe. The other day there was a programme on the box featuring a film taken from an airship over the front line of the Western Front in 1919, which mentioned a lad who lied about his age, joined the volunteer Army that was raised after the initial battles of 1914 at the age of 14, & refused his parents' pleas to reveal his true age, & be sent home. He was killed at age 16. very sad. I noticed in a graveyard near Rouen that there were Indians also buried there, some of whom bore the title 'Follower'. Curious.
    Did anyone see the Albert Hall service on TV? Did you notice that several of the Queens Colour Sqn continuity drill team were sporting L/Cpl stripes?? Is this another example of the RAF being slowly digested by the other two services??

Yes it was Jack Cornwell.

Those with Lance Corporal stripes are in fact SACs! The RAF has brought in the rank(or is it an appointment?) for SAC gunners who are section 2ics, just like the infantry. When they stop being a section 2ic they should revert back to wearing SAC props, yeah right!

Quote Originally Posted by kebecker View Post
    Both men died in the Great War, both appear to be from Fulmodestone, I would really like to know more, DG hope you can find time to look at the church records. I also wonder if these men are on any of the local war memorials.
    There are no war memorials in Fulmodestone, Barny or Croxton. No mention of the two men in the churchs either.
    Draw a blank on free censors as well. but will still keep looking.

Just found out some more information about Todd & Utting. Don't want to hijack this thread or cause ructions.
    So should I start a new thread or keep quiet as it is nothing to do with Airfields.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information